Sick Chickens, How Contagious?

Clappmeg

Chirping
Aug 6, 2019
I recently picked up 3 Silkies from a local farm that was downsizing. She was practically giving them away and they're very difficult to find in my area. I've kept them separate from my small flock in that:
- My chicken coop is built into my garage. The bottom half is enclosed by plywood but the top half is chicken wire for ventilation.
- I've kept the chickens in question in a covered dog crate approximately 50ft from my chicken coop.
- I don't recall ever handling the newbies and then going into my chicken coop afterward, always washed hands between.

I know that the new chickens have mites and I've noticed them starting to sneeze (wet, yucky sneeze). I immediately moved them outside of my garage and shut the door, but they've been in my garage for approximately 24 hrs. I'm panicking that my flock has been exposed to whatever these chickens have and I can't stop worrying. What are the chances my flock has been infected? What are the different incubation periods of whatever nasty bugs these chickens could be carrying? Were they far enough away/protected so I shouldn't worry so much?
Thank you so much in advance!!

You did a good job trying to quarantine but 50 ft. likely isn't enough. Some pathogens can travel 1/2 mile through the air.
There is no way to know the chances of contamination unless your know the pathogen you are dealing with. At least you found the mites.
What state are you in? If one of the new birds should go downhill, it would be a good idea to send it to your state poultry lab for humane euthanasia and necropsy. That is the only definitive way to know how to proceed.

You may have gotten a very good deal because the owner knew they were sick.

I would treat both the old and new chickens alike for any conditions the new chickens have. Hopefully it's early enough and you were cautious enough that they old chickens never develop symptoms.

X2. I'm sorry, I was just concerned the OP would try treating for a sneeze without knowing what they were treating.
I would definitely treat for the mites.

Incubation periods vary by strain and severity of the disease. Here are the incubation periods for the following respiratory diseases:
Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) 4 to 21 days.
Infectious Bronchitis (IB) 24 to 48 hours.
Coryza 1 to 3 days.
Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) 3 to 14 days.

Each one of these diseases generally have its own telltale "marker" for identification purposes. What makes it difficult is that birds can have one or more of these diseases at the same time.

Your state vet may be called and asked if there is a way to get a couple of sick birds tested for a few dollars, or you can do as suggested to get a necropsy on a sacrificed bird. Many states will do 2 or 3 for the same price as 1. Zoologix, a commercial national lab will test for a respiratory panel for $95.

Here is a good link about the common diseases to read:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Most respiratory diseases can leave the chickens and the flock carriers for life. The exception is infectious bronchitis which makes them carriers for 5 months up to a year. Aspergillosis, a respiratory fungal infection from mold, is not contagious.

Back
Top Bottom