Sick/Depressed Hen

SurbFarmGirl

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
I know I've posted about this before ... both on here and on Facebook .. but I'm getting desperate. My Golden Laced Wyandotte will be a year old tomorrow. For about a month (maybe a tad bit more) she hasn't been acting herself. She's been moving slower, not laying many eggs, tail down, and lays around a lot. She is still eating and drinking and overall looks very healthy.

I've checked for for being egg bound - she's not and she still lays every few days.

I've also treated her for vent gleet - I don't think that's what it was.

I've checked her for mites ... haven't seen anything and her stools all look pretty normal. Occasionally I will find a few drops of blood in a dropping ... but I have no idea who it's from and it's VERY rare that I find that.

They are out free ranging my yard during the day and when I check on her, she's usually laying under the patio table. When I pet her, her tail will go up ... but after a bit, it droops again.

Is there anything I could be missing? Do I just let this run it's course and hope for the best? These are my girls ... the thought of losing one kills me :(

Please give me some suggestions.

It's possible she has Coccidiosis or an internal parasite load.

Have you noticed if she's losing weight?

You can treat Cocci with Corid from Tractor Supply, your local feed store, or you can order it online.

If she's got worms, you can use Valbazen liquid goat wormer to treat. You can also get this from maybe Tractor Supply, maybe your local feed store, and definitely online.

Could you possibly take a poop sample to your local vet for a fecal float to determine the presence of worms or Cocci?

Let us know!

MrsB

Would worms be something I could see in their stool? I've looked closely and haven't seen anything. Would it hurt them to treat them for it anyway?

You would not necessarily see them. Lack of worms in poops doesn't mean they aren't there.

It's advisable to worm all your chickens on a bi-annual rotating schedule, or as needed. :)

MrsB

Can you please tell me what I should give them to treat for worms just in case? I have 4 hens .... a year old tomorrow ... and 4 babies that are 7 weeks (they aren't together quite yet - same coop but separated).

I prefer Valbazen liquid goat wormer for worming. I posted a photo of the bottle in a previous post.

Dose:

.5ml/cc for standard, adult chickens
.25ml/cc for bantams and pullets/cokerels

Give orally with a syringe. Treat again in five days to get tape worms.

I'm not sure about the dose for a 7wk old chick... I might wait until they were 3 months old, unless they start showing symptoms.

Hope that helps!

MrsB

Ok another question. She is still acting the same ... but I noticed her crop is squishy. She's drinking a lot of water and eats ... but doesn't rush for the food like the others. When free ranging, she prefers to just lay around and will even fall asleep standing up.

Yesterday I took this picture of her poop.

I tried making her throw up last night in case it's sour crop ... only clear liquid (water) came out. I just checked her crop again (700am) and it's a bit smaller but still squishy. I feel like sand and grassy type things in there.

What can I do next?

Can you take a fecal sample to a vet to get them to tell you what kind of (if any) worms or protozoa may be present in your poor mama.

Foamy poops can indicate worms, but the fecal float can confirm.

MrsB

So my evening has consisted of following Penny around til she pooped. This is what she did .... projectile water with a bit of mucus.

I felt her abdomen and it seems a LOT larger than the other girls. And it's hard ... not squishy like a water balloon. I felt for an egg .. couldn't feel anything. I'm feeling so hopeless. I've tried everything I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom