Sick Duck, Need Advice

Ibicella

Songster
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
Everett, WA
I know this probably belongs in the duck thread, but I'm more likely to have someone see it here quicker.

I have a 1-1/2 year old Cayuga duck hen that was fine yesterday but today is acting lethargic, limping a bit, and has watery diarrhea. She also seems to have lost a little bit of weight. She's not interested in eating much but she snarfed mealworms this morning.

What can I do to help her give the best chance of getting through whatever's going on?

Very sorry to hear about your duck. :/ I don't know very much about them but I hope someone can come along and help you.

Bump!!

MrsB

Thanks Mrs. B., I've got her relaxing in the tub right now while I clean her hospital cage. She's developed clear discharge from her eyes now.

Much appreciated for the bump. :)

You could definitely try the duck forum...

Clear discharge can be due to injury, foreign object, or illness.

Is she still eating and drinking?

MrsB

I posted there too (I hope that's allowed) but no answers yet. :(

She is still eating and drinking. She snarfs mealworms and she's eating some feed (Nutrena All Flock) and drinking, but you can tell she's really tired when she does.
I'm frustrated. Her symptoms are so vague it's really hard to pinpoint without testing, and I don't have the cash to deal to go to the one place around here that charges gouging-prices for it.

Is there a general comprehensive antibiotic I can give and hope for the best?

Thanks for your answers Mrs. B. Your support is helping if just emotionally knowing someone has seen my post. <3

It may very well be she's got a bacterial infection with her symptoms. Then again, I only keep chickens.

You could try Tylan 50 or Tylan 200. The 200 is more potent, so you'll dose less. It's given orally via syringe... The trouble is, not all antibiotics treat all bacteria. :/ You've got gram-negative and gram-positive, and different strains of the same thing (like E.coli, for example). It's difficult to treat without a diagnosis, but I do understand about the cost of vet care. It's a never-ending struggle.

In the end, all we can do is our best and hope it all works out.
hugs.gif

I'm still hoping someone with ducks comes along!!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom