sick duckling, convulsing and sleepy

hanjj033

Chirping
Apr 17, 2015
Australia
I have a duckling that I dont think is going to make it. It hatched under a chicken and we left it with the chook until we found out the chook had mites. We dusted the flock and put a little on the duckling and gave it a swim and it now appears to be mite free. This was a few days ago and overnight it has become really lethargic and sick. Its head is convulsing a bit like hiccups, or when ducks are trying to swallow food, it cant walk well, is really sleepy and drinking quite a bit of water. I havent kept it with the chicken since the mites and it now has its own little box. The only likely cause of these symptoms I could find on google was hepatitis. I dont think the duckling is going to make it at the rate its deteriorating, but if anyone could give advice as to what could be wrong and how it would be prevented, that would be much appreciated.

I have a duckling that I dont think is going to make it. It hatched under a chicken and we left it with the chook until we found out the chook had mites. We dusted the flock and put a little on the duckling and gave it a swim and it now appears to be mite free. This was a few days ago and overnight it has become really lethargic and sick. Its head is convulsing a bit like hiccups, or when ducks are trying to swallow food, it cant walk well, is really sleepy and drinking quite a bit of water. I havent kept it with the chicken since the mites and it now has its own little box. The only likely cause of these symptoms I could find on google was hepatitis. I dont think the duckling is going to make it at the rate its deteriorating, but if anyone could give advice as to what could be wrong and how it would be prevented, that would be much appreciated.
@hanjj033 what was the dust you used? he may have had a reaction to that. Are you giving any kind of poultry vitamins? Are you keep it warm enough first week it needs to be between 85-90 and 5 degrees lower each week there after. If you can add some poultry vitamins to it's drinking water since it's drinking alot it may help. There could be a number of things wrong but unless a vet sees the little one it would be difficult to know what it is. Question is your duckling crested? Could be a neurological issue also. Which a B complex vitamin might help. a B Complex tab or capsule mixed into a gallon of water then put into a safe waterer for the duckling. You have to be extremely careful with ducklings who haven't much control that they don't get stuck in their waterer and drown.

Hi Miss Lydia, thanks for the reply.
Im not sure of the brand of the dust, but im from Australia so the brand would be completely different to the ones available in America. It is an all purpose dust for ducks and chooks. The duckling didn't have the dust on it for more then a few hours as it went for a long swim that afternoon. I put the dust on around 3 days ago too =S
Where im from its about 28 degrees at night (I think thats around 86 to you), so its definitely not cold!
The duckling isnt crested and im pretty sure its not a vitamin deficiency (ive dealt with that issue before).
Im honestly stumped as to what could be wrong with the poor little thing as it was fine and happy last night, and its deteriorating so quickly =(

Hi Miss Lydia, thanks for the reply.
Im not sure of the brand of the dust, but im from Australia so the brand would be completely different to the ones available in America. It is an all purpose dust for ducks and chooks. The duckling didn't have the dust on it for more then a few hours as it went for a long swim that afternoon. I put the dust on around 3 days ago too =S
Where im from its about 28 degrees at night (I think thats around 86 to you), so its definitely not cold!
The duckling isnt crested and im pretty sure its not a vitamin deficiency (ive dealt with that issue before).
Im honestly stumped as to what could be wrong with the poor little thing as it was fine and happy last night, and its deteriorating so quickly =(
Since you say it went swimming could it have ingested something was this in a pond or pool? Just trying to see if we maybe dealing with a bacteria Can you get antibiotics there?

It possibly could have eaten something. But you know what. I was holding it in my hands because it had its eyes closed and couldnt peep and could barely breath. I thought it was about to pass. But it didnt. Throughout The day it did a couple of really bad looking poos. Runny and bright orange. Now overnight its back to normal! So strange!

It possibly could have eaten something. But you know what. I was holding it in my hands because it had its eyes closed and couldnt peep and could barely breath. I thought it was about to pass. But it didnt. Throughout The day it did a couple of really bad looking poos. Runny and bright orange. Now overnight its back to normal! So strange!
Sure sounds like the lil one may have eaten something. But is it able to just go were ever it wants to? Is the lil one eating and drinking normal?

It can walk again just fine just it doesnt have open access. I keep it in a box when im upstairs and its got its own private coop when its downstairs. Overnight its eaten all its food so it must have been hungry. There were no lunps in its runny poos so i cant for the life of me work out what it may have eaten!

It can walk again just fine just it doesnt have open access. I keep it in a box when im upstairs and its got its own private coop when its downstairs. Overnight its eaten all its food so it must have been hungry. There were no lunps in its runny poos so i cant for the life of me work out what it may have eaten!
Well what is important is what ever it was must have passed. Keep us updated on how it is doing..

Back
Top Bottom