Sick duckling

They have a small 8x10x2" dish they get to play in. The small duck loves it. They both use it to dunk their heads in.

One thing that you may want to do is take a picture or video every few days. Sometimes looking back at them helps me to see changes and improvements. I took lots of pics and videos of my sick duckling and used them to track progress.

Update: the little duckling is doing so much better. I know it's going to take a little awhile for her feathers to come back but she hasn't lost any since separating them from the hens.

Thanks for advice everyone.

Help! I had two ducklings pass away two days ago. I first noticed one on iys side not moving and unable to get up. Its neck begas to spasm in one direction and stay that way. It eventually dies a few hours later. Then there was another duckling that had similar side affects and i brought it in and it began to spasm and then passed away. So now 3logistics days later I have another one. I looked up info, put an airfilter in the shed I have them in, and i have been cleaning the bedding. I have also been giving them the vermX. What is going on? I am very devastated!

My best guess is that you've got one of two things happening. Either wry neck, or more likely (as in the stuff we see here more often) a Niacin Deficiency leading to seizures and neurological problems. I do not know of any cure for wry neck, but Niacin Deficiency is simple, you just start supplementing the diet with B3. B3 you can get in many forms: powders to mix in water, liquid vitamins without iron to add to water, flush free capsules from the pharmacy, or brewer's yeast added to feed.

Help! I had two ducklings pass away two days ago. I first noticed one on iys side not moving and unable to get up. Its neck begas to spasm in one direction and stay that way. It eventually dies a few hours later. Then there was another duckling that had similar side affects and i brought it in and it began to spasm and then passed away. So now 3logistics days later I have another one. I looked up info, put an airfilter in the shed I have them in, and i have been cleaning the bedding. I have also been giving them the vermX. What is going on? I am very devastated!

So sorry you're going through this:-(

I have a few questions...
Why are you using the vermx? Do they have parasites?
How old are they?
Are you providing heat?
What is your brooder setup?
What are you feeding them?
Have you checked it for mold?
Maybe by providing more info we can help you find an answer.

Maybe its not verm-x, but it helps with infections, which it could be.
Ducklings will be 2 weeks this weekend.
Temp is around 90degrees.
Brooder is plastic bin, that is changed out every day (bedding is pine shavings.
I do think it could be from my garden starts that im growing in the same shed. I'm going to move them into my duck coop in their brooder tonight to get 'em out of there. I feel so awful!

Brooder is plastic bin, that is changed out every day (bedding is pine shavings.
I do think it could be from my garden starts that im growing in the same shed. I'm going to move them into my duck coop in their brooder tonight to get 'em out of there. I feel so awful!
Don't beat yourself up
hugs.gif

Sounds like antibiotics are a good idea. Make sure to check the feed for mold as well. What makes you think it is your garden starts?

temps are too high they should be around 80 at the highest 85 to hot can hurt them. 5 * cooler each week there after.

What about the garden starts?

Back
Top Bottom