Sick ducks? Help! Newbie!

Hello!
With the snow and negative degree temps here in VA I wanted to know how long I can keep my ducks outside. They are khakis, welsh harlequins, and a 4 month old runner. I know they will be warm but I am more concerned about their feet/legs. One still has a scab from the thorn I removed some time ago as well. The snow is deep, they stay on the shoveled sidewalk that is now ice. Last time we saw these temps I put staw down on the sidewalk but I think it was still too cold on their feet as they kept laying down. Also, what is a safe temp to keep in their coop at night? At what temp do I turn on the heat lamp? It may be me but I think my runner might be less cold tolerant compared to the other gals. Am I correct?
In my runner flock, there were three or four who really could not stand the cold. I mean, really. Rather than worry, I moved them into a "storm shelter" for the rest of the winter. Body condition and behavior improved, egg laying increased, everybody made it, I could sleep at night.

The books say they are cold hardy, and on average, I think that is correct. But average did not matter to Fünf, Acht, Elf, and Sieben.

The storm shelter eventually became the night pen. It is 0F here right now, and I am just as glad not to have to worry about anything but boredom.

At what temp should I turn the heat lamp on in their coop? What avg temp should the coop be? How long should I let them be out in these single digit temps? How will I know if they are cold? They all seem to just fluff up and not do much and then just sit. Does that mean they are cold?

Yup, they are cold. As far as I can tell, if there is no time of normally active behavior interspersed between relatively short huddle-ups, they are too cold. If you approach the ducks, do they stand up and either look for treats or move away, if they are shy? If not, I would get them warmer.

Do you have a thermometer out there? I don't think there is one temperature that is ideal for all birds and flocks. Our magic number, based on our weakest links, is 35F, absolute coldest I am willing to leave them overnight.

Thank you! I was observing them more while they were outside and when they were moving they looked as if they were walking on hot coals! Couldn't figure out what foot to stand on so I brought them in gave them a mix of kale, thawed corn and peas mixed with a couple of drops of olive oil and ground flax. They are warming inside with the lamp on them but it's still only 30. Outside it's 4 and they say it feels like -9. Yikes!

Thank you! I was observing them more while they were outside and when they were moving they looked as if they were walking on hot coals! Couldn't figure out what foot to stand on so I brought them in gave them a mix of kale, thawed corn and peas mixed with a couple of drops of olive oil and ground flax. They are warming inside with the lamp on them but it's still only 30. Outside it's 4 and they say it feels like -9. Yikes!
30 is good, taking them from any warmer to outside can cause health issues. As long as out of wind they should be fine at 30. you have to remember they have down under their feathers.
Although Runners being built tall and thinner probably have a harder time keeping warm than short squatty ducks do.

Last edited:
My ducks don't limp, but do stand on one leg to keep the other warm, is that what u mean? if it is, don't worry. Ducks grow an extra layer of fat during the winter and can survive in -40 degrees, so, it couldn't be from the coldness.

My ducks don't limp, but do stand on one leg to keep the other warm, is that what u mean? if it is, don't worry. Ducks grow an extra layer of fat during the winter and can survive in -40 degrees, so, it couldn't be from the coldness.
Just wanted to mention from here in the peanut gallery
wink.png
that some of my runners haven't read about surviving such cold temperatures. I keep them above freezing at night, and they generally do not stay out all day if the conditions are too harsh. Roughly, if it is around 35˚F and sunny, not much breeze, they'll be out most of the day. But below 35, or windy, or very cloudy, they may only be out a few hours at a time. And below 25, not long outdoors at a time. Right now they are either outside or in the night shelter because I don't have a setup that allows them to go in and out of a structure. I am working on a better setup for them. - it is still in the design phase.

Also, for me, I want my ducks to thrive, not just survive. So, since we have a few runners who do not thrive below the freezing point, everybody gets a break. It is not my imagination. Four days after raising the lowest temps to which they were exposed, they were laying again, behaving normally, body language greatly improved, body condition soon thereafter improved also.

they can SURVIVE at -40, but I keep my ducks inside at 25 degrees or less to keep them happy and warm

Last edited:
Quote:
Runners were my first batch of eggs that I hatched, they are sooo loving. we gave ours to a petting zoo because she was he only one we had, she needed more company. I visit her often. her name is Quacky.

I need a better duck book than the Holderread book. Just not getting the info I want. Any suggestions? I had read that wild birds can bring disease to my flock and they won't leave the food bowl alone! I'm finding bird poop everywhere too! How can I keep them from finding the duck feed bowl? Also, I'm so angry about finding a dead duckling this morning! I picked up 4 ducklings yesterday afternoon, 2 WH and 2KC I noticed right away one WH and 1KC had a rasp to its quack and the WH also has a wet eye. But the healthiest one died overnight. Now what do I do? Down to 3 with them all a bit quiet and not eating much. They have vitamin water, gave ACV water to rinse bills and eye then discarded. Got the light on them and it's 90 degrees. Do I just watch them all die? They are inside, but I'm so worried my older ducklings and my adults might get sick. Don't even know what it is. Guessing with a rasp and wet eye it must be respiratory. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom