SICK DUCKS! PLEASE HELP!!

LaceyJoy

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 6, 2014
I have a female mallard and a female Peking, both approx 2 mths old. Earlier today they were totally fine with the other 3 ducks. This evening, I found them both lying on the ground completely weak and barely alive. It was beginning to storm so they were getting soaked. I brought them inside, wrapped them up in towels and tried to see what's going on. There are no visible injuries at all. They both have a little labored breathing but no eye, nose or mouth drainage. I offered water, honey and yogurt. They won't take anything. They don't even try. Their eyes look normal. The Peking is far worse than the mallard. The mallard twitches her wings constantly and tries to get up occasionally but is very unstable. They look like they're dying! Could this be a toxin of some sort. They were totally normal at 2 p.m. and totally sick by 8 p.m. The mallard closes her eyes and sleeps but the Peking just blinks....

Last edited:
@Amiga
They are still alive! I don't know how, as bad as they were last night. I searched and searched for something outside that could have made them sick. I can't find anything. I looked up toxic plants and I found Clematis. They don't eat my clematis but they do play in the mud puddle around it. The mallard is up and walking around and quacking, eating and drinking. The Peking is standing up, although unsteady. At least she's up. She was completely lifeless last night. The only reason I knew she was still alive is because I could feel her breathing. I will continue to treat this as a toxin. I will try the flush as well. Thank you for your help.
Sounds like some kind of toxin.  Please consider this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

I hope they are still with you.

If it is a toxin, please look around so you can get rid of the source of the poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom