Victor and Sassy's love life

Abbyroadrescuetx

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
Hi. New to ducks too. Have had 1 drake and 1 hen for almost a year. Victor tries to mate with Sassy. No problem. It's April. They will both be a year old in June. Shouldn't Sassy have started laying by now? I read 6-8 months, but nope. Also, should I get another hen? Note: I'm not breeding. These guys are rescues and are my babies. They come in at night and occupy the bathroom to keep them safe. Their mom was killed by a raccoon in a neighborhood down the way, and I'm not in a neighborhood but more rural. I take them out to their pen each morning so they can swim and search the dirt all day etc. I cover my bed with an old blanket so they can hang out with me once a week and I can really get a close-up of any changes or injuries. I had another female one month younger than these 2 and found her looking like she was sleeping next to the gate dead with no visible injuries except a small patch of missing feathers of the back of head where the drake grabs on. I have no idea what happened and it really hit me hard to lose her. In a big ass nutshell: Victor and Sassy seem to have a healthy, regular sex life. I would like some eggs. I don't want a repeat of what happened to Peking (my duck who died) although I've truly no idea WHY she died. Would Sassy begin laying if another female were around? If so, same age or older? Thanks much all. AmP

Attachments

• IMG_20230423_105803_817.jpg
    IMG_20230423_105803_817.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20230422_093510_541~2.jpg
    IMG_20230422_093510_541~2.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 7
Hi. New to ducks too. Have had 1 drake and 1 hen for almost a year. Victor tries to mate with Sassy. No problem. It's April. They will both be a year old in June. Shouldn't Sassy have started laying by now? I read 6-8 months, but nope. Also, should I get another hen? Note: I'm not breeding. These guys are rescues and are my babies. They come in at night and occupy the bathroom to keep them safe. Their mom was killed by a raccoon in a neighborhood down the way, and I'm not in a neighborhood but more rural. I take them out to their pen each morning so they can swim and search the dirt all day etc. I cover my bed with an old blanket so they can hang out with me once a week and I can really get a close-up of any changes or injuries. I had another female one month younger than these 2 and found her looking like she was sleeping next to the gate dead with no visible injuries except a small patch of missing feathers of the back of head where the drake grabs on. I have no idea what happened and it really hit me hard to lose her. In a big ass nutshell: Victor and Sassy seem to have a healthy, regular sex life. I would like some eggs. I don't want a repeat of what happened to Peking (my duck who died) although I've truly no idea WHY she died. Would Sassy begin laying if another female were around? If so, same age or older? I would really appreciate some input here. Thanks much all. AmP

Are they Mallards? They are seasonal layers just like my Muscovy. I can’t answer why she’s not laying all of mine who are quite a bit older have just started back.(just a few of them) What feed are you using and does she have a place where she can lay that’s private?

Are they Mallards? They are seasonal layers just like my Muscovy. I can’t answer why she’s not laying all of mine who are quite a bit older have just started back.(just a few of them) What feed are you using and does she have a place where she can lay that’s private?
yes, they are mallards. ok did not know about the seasonal. thanks. using

Dr. Pol 28% Poultry Pearls High Protein and she does have a private place in her duck retreat in and out of doors.​

Hopefully you'll see some eggs soon. Have you actually see the drakes man part? Just wondering from what I can see of them they both look alike. I think the drake should be in his breeding plumage now. Can you get better pictures. Of course this wouldn't have anything to do with your female laying eggs they do this without a drake. Also Females will act out the breeding part with other females.
https://www.birdlife.org/news/2021/12/16/the-eclipse-moult-of-mallards/

This is a guide line for protein, since you have a drake you can use an all flock and give your female oyster shell on the side. I feed layer and still put out oyster shell and mine eat it like candy
Laying ducks: Due to the large number of eggs they can produce (many more than wild birds do), laying ducks have very high requirements for calcium and protein, and must be fed a layer or breeder diet. Laying diets for ducks are typically 16-17 per cent protein and higher in calcium than are maintenance diets.

Hopefully you'll see some eggs soon. Have you actually see the drakes man part? Just wondering from what I can see of them they both look alike. I think the drake should be in his breeding plumage now. Can you get better pictures. Of course this wouldn't have anything to do with your female laying eggs they do this without a drake. Also Females will act out the breeding part with other females.
https://www.birdlife.org/news/2021/12/16/the-eclipse-moult-of-mallards/
lordy, strange thin alien pink thing didn't look like it belonged anywhere on a duck? i think so. victor's plumage is changing over now. he's losing his white side feathers. he does have the male sex feather...3 of them. which seems to matter not one bit. i've seen her get down for him and he walks over and then walks away. i've no clue why. he just started this recently. before he was jumping her regularly.

Last edited:
This is a guide line for protein, since you have a drake you can use an all flock and give your female oyster shell on the side. I feed layer and still put out oyster shell and mine eat it like candy
Laying ducks: Due to the large number of eggs they can produce (many more than wild birds do), laying ducks have very high requirements for calcium and protein, and must be fed a layer or breeder diet. Laying diets for ducks are typically 16-17 per cent protein and higher in calcium than are maintenance diets.
so i need to buy oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom