Sick hen due to misshapen eggs?

I'm happy to report that my hen is doing better. she pushed out another goopy bad smelling yellow-green poop. i think it was yolk that was in her as it was very yellow. it was also kind of foamy. it smelled pretty foul. a little over two hours later and shes up now and doing much better, bright eyed and looking for food, grooming herself a little, talking to me, and even looking for the other bantam. shes still not 100% but definitely doing better
smile.png
im going to keep an eye on her.

Last year we had a RIR hen that displayed similar symptoms. I posted my question on the Disease forum of this site. I witnessed her poop out something that resembled scrambled egg. It turned out that my hen was suffering from egg yolk peritinitis. We had to give her penicillin injections. I suggest that you discuss this with those that post often in the Diseases forum. CASPORTPONY, along with many others, is very knowledgeable about infections and treatments, she is the one that advised me on treating my hen.

Good luck! I hope your hen gets better.

Last year we had a RIR hen that displayed similar symptoms. I posted my question on the Disease forum of this site.  I witnessed her poop out something that resembled scrambled egg.  It turned out that my hen was suffering from egg yolk peritinitis.  We had to give her penicillin injections.  I suggest that you discuss this with those that post often in the Diseases forum.  CASPORTPONY, along with many others, is very knowledgeable about infections and treatments, she is the one that advised me on treating my hen.

Good luck! I hope your hen gets better. 

I was suspecting that it might be that peritinitis after reading up on it. is there still concern if shes pooping it out? i am still willing to check insider her if needed. I've gotten her those antibiotics and will give her some tonight

Thank you all for your help!

From what I understand, egg yolk peritonitis will not clear up on its own. It needs to be treated with antibiotics. Broken egg shell in the chicken cuts as it is expelled, leaving openings for fecal bacteria to enter the peritoneum or abdominal cavity.

From what I understand, egg yolk peritonitis will not clear up on its own. It needs to be treated with antibiotics. Broken egg shell in the chicken cuts as it is expelled, leaving openings for fecal bacteria to enter the peritoneum or abdominal cavity.

I think I will definitely feel around insider her then to make sure. I haven't seen any eggshells in her feces other than that weird membrane. I've also felt her abdomen and I don't believe its swollen or that anythings in there. I definitely don't want it to get any worse though, reading about how bad it could get. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom