sick lame chicken

marritimer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
I have a 3 month silver laced wyandotte who I noticed was what appeared to be limping on one leg yesterday. She still was getting around okay but that night she couldn't get to her roost...just layed on the floor. she seemed to be losing control of her legs. She was laying with them splayed out in front of her, occasionally shuffling them. This morning she went outside for a bit but had a hard time. She came in and laid down in the coop. She ate a bit but didn't seem too interested. On examining her I can find no visible injuries. I isolated her and she seems to be getting worse: loss of control of legs, having a hard time holding her head up, almost like she is spasoming sometimes.
All of my other 22 chickens seem to be fine. I did have a meat king bird with the same symptoms about a month ago that I culled. I thought it was something like a dislocated hip. I don't think it's a disease since all my other meat birds are still doing fine. Also my meat birds are completely separate from my layers. Has anyone any insight into this? Did she just hurt herself? I'm new to chicken farming and realize these things happen and trying to learn as much from this as possible. Thanks.

Any history of Marek's in your flock?

Did your birds get access to any rotten food?

I looked into Marek's and called the breeder I got them from. He's reputable and hasn't had any Marek's on his farm, in fact he was just government inspected 2 weeks ago and everthing's good. All my other birds are doing fine. All food is kept in sealed dry containers with no sign of rot. I think its an injury as her left "knee" seems swollen. Possibly a displaced tendon?

Back
Top Bottom