Sick Maran Hen - Mucus, Coughing (?), Runny Stool, Drooping Wings/Tail, Pale Comb

What medications do you have? Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

We have dewormer , Epsom salts, and some other over-the-counter stuff but no poultry antibiotics because it's tightly regulated here. I can ask husband to call our poultry vet and schedule an appointment. My current theory is it's avian infectious bronchitis.

Could be viral, but could be bacterial. Any history of respiratory problems n your flock?

-Kathy

Hope you don't mind that I embedded your videos, but I'm on an old iPad and YouTube won't run anymore.

-Kathy

It's 100% fine, actually really helpful. I went to check on her and she's still coughing, with a rattle when she breaths. I'm almost totally sure she has bronchitis now.

I think bronchitis spreads quickly, so if others start looking sick, that's could be it, but I wouldn't rule out a bacterial component.

-Kathy

I think bronchitis spreads quickly, so if others start looking sick, that's could be it, but I wouldn't rule out a bacterial component.

-Kathy

No one else is sick so far. I just finished disinfecting, de-miteing, and sprayed with veterinarian-issue antibacterial/antiviral/antifungal solution. New bedding was thrown in and all the waterers and feeders are going in the dishwasher to be sanitized.

I know we will need to get a vet's opinion, and if it is bronchitis then they'll give us a script for antibiotics for secondary infection.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom