Lethargic, Pale comb Chicken

WAChickenMama

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
I have a 11 month old RIR that has been lethargic today. Comb and waddles seem pale and cooler temp than usual, tail is droopy. We've brought her inside to help keep her warm, calm, and away from the flock. She is panting, but seems more to be when she is warm and not because she is struggling for breath. No odd sounds when she breathes. She weighs 5.5lbs and before today has been fine. Crop was full last night and empty this morning. She laid this morning. Noticed symptoms about 6 hours ago. Had one chicken pass away 2 months ago with similar symptoms which came on just as rapidly. No other birds are currently showing sickness. No obvious injury. No signs of lice, mites, etc. She ate some scrambled egg and bsfl earlier, but not a lot. Poop is runny with normal colored feces and yellowish white urates. Administered 2ml Nutri-Drench 3.5 hours ago. Gave .55 ml Corid orally in case of coccidia about 3 hours ago. We are keeping her warm. Unable to take to her to vet, looking for advice possible causes and treatments. Bedding in coop is sand, run is dirt and sand.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230311_154015.jpg
    20230311_154015.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I have a 11 month old RIR that has been lethargic today. Comb and waddles seem pale and cooler temp than usual, tail is droopy. We've brought her inside to help keep her warm, calm, and away from the flock. She is panting, but seems more to be when she is warm and not because she is struggling for breath. No odd sounds when she breathes. She weighs 5.5lbs and before today has been fine. Crop was full last night and empty this morning. She laid this morning. Noticed symptoms about 6 hours ago. Had one chicken pass away 2 months ago with similar symptoms which came on just as rapidly. No other birds are currently showing sickness. No obvious injury. No signs of lice, mites, etc. She ate some scrambled egg and bsfl earlier, but not a lot. Poop is runny with normal colored feces and yellowish white urates. Administered 2ml Nutri-Drench 3.5 hours ago. Gave .55 ml Corid orally in case of coccidia about 3 hours ago. We are keeping her warm. Unable to take to her to vet, looking for advice possible causes and treatments. Bedding in coop is sand, run is dirt and sand.

@nuthatched

@aart @Tookie @nuthatched

Is she egg bound? Is her crop hard & full in the mornings? (Impacted crop.) is there a foul smell coming from her breath? Is there any unusual lumps under her tummy? Is she hydrated? Is she getting enough nutrients?

Welcome To BYC

Can you get photos of her poop?
Was her egg normal?

I'd be inclined to get some extra Calcium into her. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at Walmart, CVS, etc. Pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet in and let her swallow.

See that she's staying hydrated and offer her normal feed.

Then panting may be distress from being brought inside and separated from her flock. She may fare better being with her flock if she's not being picked on.

Is she egg bound? Is her crop hard & full in the mornings? (Impacted crop.) is there a foul smell coming from her breath? Is there any unusual lumps under her tummy? Is she hydrated? Is she getting enough nutrients?
I'm going to try posting an update, but here's answers to your questions...

Not egg bound, she laid yesterday. No impacted or sour crop. I'm familiar with and successfully treated both in other hens. No unusual lumps in her abdomen. I am suspecting that she was dehydrated yesterday. Last night, after she started feeling better, she drank A LOT of water and today there is much less yellow in her urates. She eats Purina Glock Raiser with oyster shell always available. Gets few treats or kitchen scraps.

UPDATE: She is doing much better today. She actually started to improve last night. Today she is much more active, tail being held upright, comb and waddles normal color, eating and drinking, less yellow in her urates. She drank a TON of water last night after rallying. I'm thinking she was dehydrated because she was lethargic and hadn't been drinking. New symotom over night though...blood in her poop. I'm going to continue to treat her (and the rest of the flock) for coccidia. Planning 2 tsp/gal in their water for 5 days followed by 1/2 tsp/gal for 14 days. Does this seeming the right tratment plan?

Welcome To BYC

Can you get photos of her poop?
Was her egg normal?

I'd be inclined to get some extra Calcium into her. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at Walmart, CVS, etc. Pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet in and let her swallow.

See that she's staying hydrated and offer her normal feed.

Then panting may be distress from being brought inside and separated from her flock. She may fare better being with her flock if she's not being picked on.
I nust posted an update, but here are answers to your questions...

-I haven't gotten poop pics yet. I will try once I have a fresh sample. She did have some blood in her poops overnight (see my update) but her urates are less yellow.
-Her egg yesterday was normal.

I nust posted an update, but here are answers to your questions...

-I haven't gotten poop pics yet. I will try once I have a fresh sample. She did have some blood in her poops overnight (see my update) but her urates are less yellow.
-Her egg yesterday was normal.
Here's a poop pic. This is a much better poop than yesterday. Yesterday is was very liquid and didn't hold its shape at all. The urate was much more yellow instead of white yesterday as well. There is a little bit of blood as well which there wasn't any yesterday.

Attachments

• 20230312_140607.jpg
    20230312_140607.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 14
UPDATE: She is doing much better today. She actually started to improve last night. Today she is much more active, tail being held upright, comb and waddles normal color, eating and drinking, less yellow in her urates. She drank a TON of water last night after rallying. I'm thinking she was dehydrated because she was lethargic and hadn't been drinking. New symotom over night though...blood in her poop. I'm going to continue to treat her (and the rest of the flock) for coccidia. Planning 2 tsp/gal in their water for 5 days followed by 1/2 tsp/gal for 14 days. Does this seeming the right tratment plan?
Yep. Sound like coccidia possibly

Back
Top Bottom