sick new hen :( help please!

newchickmom87

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2016
I just picked up what I think is a white leghorn from the local humane society, (they didn't have the ability to care for a chicken). I'm unsure of her age. she is very pale in her comb and I

cant get her to eat or drink anything. she's preening a little but otherwise not active. very strange stool as well (light tan and gritty). need advice on how to help this poor old girl start to feel better. I will eventually introduce her to my flock after maybe a few weeks to a month in quarantine but need advice on how to help her recover. any help would be great!

Your chicken looks more like a broiler than a white leghorn. The large comb is typical of the CornishX I see available at the butcher shop near me. Try to give her some scrambled eggs to eat. If that does not entice her to eat, I'm out of ideas. Have water available where she can see it. Remember the saying " You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink it " I think it is true for chickens as well. Provide a warm setting for her and lots of TLC
love.gif

WISHING YOU BEST...
hugs.gif

I just picked up what I think is a white leghorn from the local humane society, (they didn't have the ability to care for a chicken). I'm unsure of her age. she is very pale in her comb and I

cant get her to eat or drink anything. she's preening a little but otherwise not active. very strange stool as well (light tan and gritty). need advice on how to help this poor old girl start to feel better. I will eventually introduce her to my flock after maybe a few weeks to a month in quarantine but need advice on how to help her recover. any help would be great!

Check for lice and mites.

Isolate her in a warm environment.Offer her eggs and tuna often.If she inst drinking you can fill up a 3cc syringe and slowly drip water in her beak a few drops of poultry nutri-dench will help too.Keep her hydrated and do not give her anymore baths.How does her crop feel?Can you take a picture of her poop?How does her breast bone feel?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom