Sick peacock?!? Please help!!!!

Kyriastral

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
Our Samson has developed mycoplasma galliseptium. Tractor supply gave me an antibiotic and a syringe to make him take. And suggested pedilite. Were also trying for the powder that starts with a t. But I need more advice on how to make my boy well again. Please help me keep him alive. He’s had one shot of the antibiotic we forced down his throat to see if it would give him a pick me up. He acts like he’s choking on something and his eyes are half covered. How can I make my boy healthy again???

Attachments

• 01CAA92C-A433-4D59-AEBF-F0501E604B91.jpeg
    01CAA92C-A433-4D59-AEBF-F0501E604B91.jpeg
    537.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 128D6956-E32C-4E09-A630-C04E3384CC5A.jpeg
    128D6956-E32C-4E09-A630-C04E3384CC5A.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 368ECD42-8285-4CD1-9656-9A02EC05416C.png
    368ECD42-8285-4CD1-9656-9A02EC05416C.png
    388.6 KB · Views: 25
Is a vet an option?
I very seriously doubt it around here. Tractor supply employees didn’t really even know anything about peacocks. It’s not a common pet where we are at, and our vet that had the best experience passed away not too long ago. We gave him the antibiotics and it seems like his eyes cleared up a little. But he’s still not doing much movement. He was doing wonderful Friday. He followed me around the yard. He looked like he was even bearding the chickens. Then all of a sudden yesterday he’s just lazy and I don’t think he’s even eating. Is there anything special he needs that’s not in chicken feed or duck feed?

I don’t know if you can see what’s on his eye, it’s not as bad as it was a few hours ago, so hopefully the antibiotic has helped a little. I don’t know. I just can’t sit a round and watch him die.

Attachments

• AC177CBE-D65F-4BC4-A1D7-05AA061EA23A.jpeg
    AC177CBE-D65F-4BC4-A1D7-05AA061EA23A.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 21
feel his breast area and see if you can feel a bone. if it's very prominent he hasn't been eating and you might need to intervene
I’m pretty sure he hasn’t I tried bananas and whole grain cereal yesterday and he just looked at it. He’s also very slow with swiping his break on the ground. It seemed like his eyes cleared up a bit after the antibiotic, and he was moving around yesterday evening finally after staying in the coop all day on his own will. But it did seem like one eye was matting together.

Can you share a pic of his stools?
I’m at work atm but I’ll send one when I get home. It was normal now it’s like a liquid white substance a little thinner than chicken poop or and off yellowish. Which I know isn’t a good sign. He got a does of wormer last night and another dose of antibiotic with a syringe straight down the hatch. Also gave him some chicken broth and bought a sunflower and peanut mixture for food. His eyes have cleared up but one is starting to look swollen. But the better news is the boyfriend has messaged and said his new food pan is a red frisbee, cause ever since he put it out where he could see it he had been eating. So maybe another dose or two of the meds and him actually eating now, I’m crossing my fingers and hoping I won’t have to drive over 50 miles to find an exotic vet that knows anything about peacocks. I was already looked at weird in Tractor Supply cause no one around us has a peacock and apparently no one knows anything to help much. But I’m hoping he’s making progress. I won’t give up on him!

Our Samson has developed mycoplasma galliseptium. Tractor supply gave me an antibiotic and a syringe to make him take. And suggested pedilite. Were also trying for the powder that starts with a t. But I need more advice on how to make my boy well again. Please help me keep him alive. He’s had one shot of the antibiotic we forced down his throat to see if it would give him a pick me up. He acts like he’s choking on something and his eyes are half covered. How can I make my boy healthy again???
And update on pretty Samson, it’s been so hectic with ducks and bumble foot all the way down to baby ducks hatching. He did have an upper respiratory infection, Baytril helped bring him back around. He still seems like he has days where swelling flares up again, but he’s still so full of fun. He looks great today. I think he knows we had to catch him and do what was best for him. I think I have a new friend. Thanks for the advice and this whole forum page! Y’all are helping me become a crazier bird lady! 😅💜

Attachments

• A574C75B-ABE9-46E5-960F-8A00FDD50EC2.jpeg
    A574C75B-ABE9-46E5-960F-8A00FDD50EC2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom