Sick pullet

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Our meep is sick. Comb is pale she ate a little after bringing her in today. She hasn’t pooped yet. She has been lethargic and that’s all not puffed up or any other symptoms. I just wormed them two weeks ago. Checked for mites and lice. She hasn’t laid in two months I would say. She has never been a great layer maybe ten eggs out of her in total. She’s on layer feed nature wise. Treats are a boiled egg and scratch if I have it about once to twice a week to share. I have given them pomegranate last week it was a half Pom that was shared with the other girls. Any suggestions??

Attachments

• IMG_2916.jpeg
    IMG_2916.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 80
After worming, they need probiotics. I'm not saying that's her problem necessarily, but probiotics could also help if she's having crop or digestive issues. Sugar-free Greek yogurt or any sugar-free yogurt is good or a can of tuna in water drained and mixed with that egg as there's some good protein, probiotics, etc.

I'd also try some vitamins in her food or water, such as Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell.

Someone else may have other ideas too, but this is what I'd start with.

After worming, they need probiotics. I'm not saying that's her problem necessarily, but probiotics could also help if she's having crop or digestive issues. Sugar-free Greek yogurt or any sugar-free yogurt is good or a can of tuna in water drained and mixed with that egg as there's some good protein, probiotics, etc.

I'd also try some vitamins in her food or water, such as Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell.

Someone else may have other ideas too, but this is what I'd start with.
I’ll try the poultry cell. She’s still out of it.

Our meep is sick. Comb is pale she ate a little after bringing her in today. She hasn’t pooped yet. She has been lethargic and that’s all not puffed up or any other symptoms. I just wormed them two weeks ago. Checked for mites and lice. She hasn’t laid in two months I would say. She has never been a great layer maybe ten eggs out of her in total. She’s on layer feed nature wise. Treats are a boiled egg and scratch if I have it about once to twice a week to share. I have given them pomegranate last week it was a half Pom that was shared with the other girls. Any suggestions??
Has she pooped yet? What's it like? (photo by chance?)

Any lice/mites?
Is her crop emptying?
Have you felt for an egg?

What did you deworm with (product, dose and duration)?

She's quite pale. I'd start with getting her hydrated, give some electrolytes or sugar water to see if she will perk up a little. Then introduce some wet mushy feed and/or bits of egg to see if you can entice her to eat.

Has she pooped yet? What's it like? (photo by chance?)

Any lice/mites?
Is her crop emptying?
Have you felt for an egg?

What did you deworm with (product, dose and duration)?

She's quite pale. I'd start with getting her hydrated, give some electrolytes or sugar water to see if she will perk up a little. Then introduce some wet mushy feed and/or bits of egg to see if you can entice her to eat.
Can adult chickens get coccidiosis? I used safeguard and I don’t remember the dosage it might have been .23 ML per pound did this for five days. The last poop was just straight water. I’m going to try and get her to drink and then give her some scrambled egg. Her crop is empty no egg stuck. She hasn’t laid in like two months. No lice or mites checked her all over before bringing her inside. If she poops again I’ll for sure get a photo and post.

Looks like she has some type of lice or mites.
I would dust her with a Permethrin based poultry dust. I put a small amount of the dust into an old sock, tie the top, then use it like a powder puff to tap over the feathers to release a fine dust. Work the dust into the feathers and all the way down to the skin.
Repeat in 5-7 days. Be sure to get underneath her and around the legs, under the wings, around the vent, etc. Top of head too.

She's mighty pale, I'd work on getting poultry vitamins into her or give her some beef liver.

Chickens of all ages can have Coccidiosis, it's less common in older birds, but if their system is compromised by something else, they may not be able to fight an outbreak.

Back
Top Bottom