Sick quail (golden manchurian coturnix)

Does anyone know what's the dosage of Doxycycline for a quail? (Novadox 10mg/ml to be precise.)

My quail passed away today in an avian vet clinic. They wanted to take a puncture so she had to get some sort of an anaestesia which she didn't survive. Even though I saw her situation getting worse the last two days I'm still devastated. Not only because I couldn't save her but also because I keep blaming myself for not trusting the dosage of the first vet and giving her half the dosage (2x 0,25ml). I don't know if she had a bacteria or a virus and I'm aware that antibiotics wouldn't have saved her if she had a virus, but still I have a hard time accepting this. The doctor said that she saw weird, yellow bumps(?) inside her mouth/beak and that I should check the other quails and chickens for any sign.
I am thinking of asking the vet to do a necropsy.

A sad detail: I got her exactly a year ago tomorrow.

I'm sorry if you were searching the internet for information for your sick quail (like I did) and came across this thread with a sad ending. I wish your animals well. I hope any illness or issue they get has a remedy. 🍀

My quail passed away today in an avian vet clinic. They wanted to take a puncture so she had to get some sort of an anaestesia which she didn't survive. Even though I saw her situation getting worse the last two days I'm still devastated. Not only because I couldn't save her but also because I keep blaming myself for not trusting the dosage of the first vet and giving her half the dosage (2x 0,25ml). I don't know if she had a bacteria or a virus and I'm aware that antibiotics wouldn't have saved her if she had a virus, but still I have a hard time accepting this. The doctor said that she saw weird, yellow bumps(?) inside her mouth/beak and that I should check the other quails and chickens for any sign.

I'm sorry if you were searching the internet for information for your sick quail (like I did) and came across this thread with a sad ending. I wish your animals well. I hope any illness or issue they get has a remedy. 🍀
Very sorry for your loss. You worked hard to find a way to help her. 💔

This sounds very much like infectious corzya. Please watch any others that have been around her as it is extremely contagious.

I'm so sorry to hear that, you did the best you could for her and we can't always help them all :( It sounds like a necropsy might answer some questions.
Thank you. I really, truly hope your thread will have a happy ending and your quail will be running around happily in no time.
I'm kind of frustrated that 'poultry' birds don't get the attention they need from the medical world and culling or accepting that they will die due to a bacteria or a virus are kind of the most popular options.
Last couple of weeks I even read medical papers online (didn't understand half of it probably), and the fact that these birds are kept for consumption shifts the focus from a possible treatment with medication. How are they going to sell the birds or the eggs after they have had heavy antibiotics? And people like me who aren't interested in their meat or even eggs aren't in majority so we have to find our own way in this information overload. (Sorry for my nagging, I'm just still bummed.)

Have a nice weekend. 🍀

This sounds very much like infectious corzya. Please watch any others that have been around her as it is extremely contagious.
Hello there. When I went to see the vet the second time I mentioned this but poultry diseases aren't very well known by 'normal' vets I guess. Or even by all avian vets, I'm afraid. The vet at the avian clinic where she passed away told me that I could bury her in my backyard and I had to oppose to that. Even if my remaining birds wouldn't catch anything, it could still be dangerous to another bird coming to the garden.
The frustrating part is that the symptoms are almost the same with several bacteria. Every time I read about a disease, I thought, okay, she has this! The doctor mentioned some yellow lesions inside her beak. I googled about it and there is apparently a disease called trichomonosis, caused by a parasite. I told the doctor I want to know what she had so she took swabs from her throat and also from the yellow lesion in her beak so I really hope I will get an answer.
This morning I've checked the quails and also our chicken. They seem fine but it's not necessarily comforting. I will try to find out if vaccination or preventive medication is possible.
Have a nice weekend!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom