Sick rooster

TopRooster

Chirping
Mar 27, 2016
I have a Rhode Island Red rooster that is around 7 months old and has been sick for a few weeks. He seems to be having trouble breathing and he used to shake his head and sneeze. I have been giving him vetrx and the sneezing and head shaking has stopped but he is still having trouble breathing. He is active but not like he used to be and I see him eat and drink. This night I went to give him the vetrx and when I looked in his throat it had a coat of clear like mucus but there is no discharge from his nose. You can hear his breathing and it sounds gurgly and raspy. If anybody can help me with this I would appreciate it. Thanks

Is his crop emptying overnight?

Respiratory symptoms can be due to a number of things - molds, dusty feed/bedding, poor ventilation and respiratory illness a few of the most common causes.
If you have vet care, that would be best. Sometimes an antibiotic like injectable Tylan50 can be used to help with secondary infections dues to respiratory illness - it's not a cure, but could give relief if this is the cause. There are several illnesses with similar symptoms, so without testing, there's no way to know which one http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 Tylan50 can be given orally or by injection - dosage is 1cc or ml per 5lbs of weight given 2x a day for 5 days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom