Sick Rooster

I need help ASAP. I have two hens that were non-symptomatic previously now symptomatic. They are both staggering and complaining. Could this be Mycoplasma synoviae. The one hen looks like her foot may be getting a little puffy. The man at the coop store thinks it is worms. But my roo was huge. He would have lost weight and not died in 36 hours. I had one hen in the house last night but put her in the enclosed pen today due to the sunlight. I will bring her in again, but I don't have room for them all.

What medicine do I try first? Tetracycline or Tolysin or worming medication? It seems upper respiratory to me with inability to stay upright. I need to get the meds now.

I need help ASAP. I have two hens that were non-symptomatic previously now symptomatic. They are both staggering and complaining. Could this be Mycoplasma synoviae. The one hen looks like her foot may be getting a little puffy. The man at the coop store thinks it is worms. But my roo was huge. He would have lost weight and not died in 36 hours. I had one hen in the house last night but put her in the enclosed pen today due to the sunlight. I will bring her in again, but I don't have room for them all.

What medicine do I try first? Tetracycline or Tolysin or worming medication? It seems upper respiratory to me with inability to stay upright. I need to get the meds now.
Can you see a vet?
I'm sorry to hear this is happening.
It's hard to know what is going on with them. Staggering and complaining can be a number of things - have they eaten anything moldy, toxic or rotten?.

Do they have any respiratory symptoms - difficulty breathing, mucous, coughing, sneezing, etc.?

Only Equine vet that didn't get me very far. None of the other pet vets want to do chickens. I have an avian vet for my 16 year old green cheek parrot, but they don't do chickens either.

I just got back from the coop and bought LA-200 and injected 0.8 cc into her chest muscle. The dosage according to Texas Backyard Chickens is 1 cc - wait three days and then 1cc again. It is timed release formula. Yes, the roo had runny nose - but his breathing didn't seem labored. But he was gone less than 24 hours after I brought him inside. I will also get a wormer, because one person suggested that as well, but they only had equine and cattle wormer that would have been too high a concentration to cut down. I hope this works. I got enough needles to do whatever other chickens get sick. One is already showing some signs, but I thought I would try this on a slightly older chicken (by 6 weeks).

Only Equine vet that didn't get me very far. None of the other pet vets want to do chickens. I have an avian vet for my 16 year old green cheek parrot, but they don't do chickens either.

I just got back from the coop and bought LA-200 and injected 0.8 cc into her chest muscle. The dosage according to Texas Backyard Chickens is 1 cc - wait three days and then 1cc again. It is timed release formula. Yes, the roo had runny nose - but his breathing didn't seem labored. But he was gone less than 24 hours after I brought him inside. I will also get a wormer, because one person suggested that as well, but they only had equine and cattle wormer that would have been too high a concentration to cut down. I hope this works. I got enough needles to do whatever other chickens get sick. One is already showing some signs, but I thought I would try this on a slightly older chicken (by 6 weeks).
I hope the medication helps and they recover soon.

Back
Top Bottom