Sick silkie

Steviesmom83

Hatching
Apr 10, 2023
I have a 4 month old silkie that has a respiratory infection. He woke up yesterday gasping for breath, he didn't eat much at all yesterday and was (I think) coughing a bunch. I had him in most of the day and snuggled him. He woke up this morning and he was alert, not breathing heavy and eating and digging so I left him out. By lunch time he was gasping again. Not as bad as before but it was definitely there and he was wheezing so I brought him in. Almost instantly he laid down and took a nap and he barely made a sound all afternoon. He was very content and sounded fine. I put him back outside at dinner so he could scratch around and get some air and an hour later he was gasping and wheezing bad again. He's inside now sleeping on my chest coughing and wheezing. He had 2 doses of Tylan yesterday and 1 today and I gave him safeguard just to make sure it wasn't gapeworm. I have also been putting vet rx on his comb and under his wings a couple of times a day. Is the heat making it worse? Maybe panting is irritating him? Is there anything else I should do? He is my baby.

Can you get a video of his actions?

Any mucous, facial swelling, bubbles in the eyes, clogged nostrils?

Photos of his housing/outdoor area? He's doing better when not outside scratching about correct?
How hot is it?
Is his crop emptying overnight?

You mention doses of Tylan so I assume you have Tylan50? Dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row. Since you started it, I would finish treatment.

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

Back
Top Bottom