Sickly chicken

Also, on a side note. She's definitely got water belly. I've done the drainage procedure. She's resting right now. I've offered her water, baked sweet potato, quartered grapes, and tuna. Should I still give calcium?

Since draining her this morning she has continued to be lethargic. Laying down, and napping on and off. I've let her rest mostly undisturbed. I have pestered her to eat and drink, about once an hour. I coaxed her into eating pieces of grapes (one of her favorite treats) by dropping the pieces. Best guess is it triggers a predatory response. Over the course of the afternoon I got a grape and a half and some water in her. In the last few minutes she decided she's thirsty and hungry. She helped herself to some water and the last 2 slices of grapes, as well as some plain white rice that I offered to her. The sweet potato and tuna has been a hard no from her. Even though she's clearly still unwell, I am encouraged by her eating on her own. Her comb and waddle had become pale while we were draining her, but seem to be pinking back up.

I'm of the opinion that the main problem is the water belly, however I'm still unsure if there is a crop issue or not. My basic understanding is her crop was not emptying as fast as it should. And she might need some extra grit. But my logic also begs the question of maybe it wasn't emptying because of the pressure on her digestive track, caused by the water belly. Also, when little girl developed water belly I assumed it was something unique to her biology. Now with sittin chicken also having it... I'm suspicious. It either a trait common to the breed, or its environmental. Sittin chicken had stopped laying prior to little girl having water belly. Little girl only layed an egg once or twice a week prior to the illness and has only layed once since. Because of that I was told to stop giving layer pellets and to switch to crumble with a lower protein level. I blended the feed to gradually switch the over. Last week was the first time they were given straight crumble. Both feeds are the tractor supply brand. It's what they were fed before I acquired them, and what I have been feeding the 3.5+ years I've had them. Other than that, there have been no changes. Any idea as to possible cause?

She finally pooped!

Attachments

• 16899035352935925950390587444024.jpg
    16899035352935925950390587444024.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 1
If she has fluid in the abdomen, this can cause the digestive system to slow.
See if the crop begins to empty since you drained her.

Fluid in the abdomen can be due to organ failure and/or reproductive problems. The only way to really know the cause is to have a necropsy if you lose her.

The poop is quite yellow, so this could be an indication of liver dysfunction or something reproductive. Still hard to tell.

I'd see how she's does over the next few days. Keep her hydrated and of course if she's willing to eat that would be good too.

How much fluid did you drain?

If she has fluid in the abdomen, this can cause the digestive system to slow.
See if the crop begins to empty since you drained her.

Fluid in the abdomen can be due to organ failure and/or reproductive problems. The only way to really know the cause is to have a necropsy if you lose her.

The poop is quite yellow, so this could be an indication of liver dysfunction or something reproductive. Still hard to tell.

I'd see how she's does over the next few days. Keep her hydrated and of course if she's willing to eat that would be good too.

How much fluid did you drain?
About 12 FL oz. I say about because she continued to leak after the needle was removed.

I feel mentally incompetent, my other chicken has water belly as well. I've needed to drain that one on 2 occasions. I rejected water belly from the start because I figured it was statistically unlikely for both of my chickens to develop the same issue. However, I'm thankful that I'm familiar with the treatment and had supplies on hand. But now I think the cause of the water belly may be environmental, but have no idea what it could be the root of it.

This morning she was found under the roost. My other chicken had pooped on her back. And she's got piss ants on her. The gains she made yesterday afternoon seem to have been lost over night. She's tired and weak, without an appetite.

Are the ants from being of the floor of the coop, or because she was pooped on? I've brushed the ants off as well as I could. She needs a bath to get the rest of the poop off, but she would lose her mind it I tried to blow dry her and I'm worried she will be too cold being wet in the A/C. She is unconcerned about the poop or the ants.

She's currently back on her towel, in my living room floor napping. I will update as things develop.

I'm sorry she's struggling again.

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for hens to have reproductive problems and/or fluid in the abdomen. So having more than one with the same or similar condition is very like ime.

If you lose her, then getting a necropsy through your state lab will give you the most information. If that's not possible and you are up to it, you can perform your own informal investigation and take a look to see if you can find anything obvious.

Today was a much better day. Her appetite has improved, she's eating crumble, watermelon, and water with a touch of sugar. She's beginning to get her strength back. After I found her under the roost bar I started putting her to bed in the garage. She seems happy to be kept separate from little girl, which is odd because in the past she's panicked if she found herself alone. She's starting to get fussy when I pick her up. She's still run down and weak, but I think she's through the worst of it.

Back
Top Bottom