Side swing or top lifting nesting doors

chickeecreations

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2023
BawkBawk
Wondering if anyone can explain the top lifting vs side opening nesting doors. It seems to me the top lifting doors would cause stress maybe sounding like aerial predators. Pretty sure I read this in an article also. Clucking conversation commence please 😃

My perspective on nest box doors is that they should be hinged and open for whatever is most convenient. I have a bottom hinged door that swings down and open. The top, roof, edge is sealed at the edge of the coop. I also have a top-edge hinged door on a different nest box.

The bottom/side opening door is convenient for my almost-5 granddaughter to collect eggs and can't leak at the hinges. On the other hand, the top-hinged door is much more convenient for me and it doesn't lose nesting material every time the door is opened.
I think the chickens get used to the door (whatever type) being opened so it isn't a big deal either way.

I went with the side swing down doors. It is kind of convienyent for my children to check that way. I also found since i put chains on it so they only drop down to parallel that they make a good work bench/tool holder for when i am working around the coop. They also make it easier to clean the nest boxes out as i can sweep it back into the coop or out whichever i need to do.

My nest boxes are internal so not quite the same, but the lid is top hinged - my layers aren't bothered if I lift it while they're in the nest. They'll get used to your presence/interference however it is set up.

My perspective on nest box doors is that they should be hinged and open for whatever is most convenient. I have a bottom hinged door that swings down and open. The top, roof, edge is sealed at the edge of the coop. I also have a top-edge hinged door on a different nest box.

The bottom/side opening door is convenient for my almost-5 granddaughter to collect eggs and can't leak at the hinges. On the other hand, the top-hinged door is much more convenient for me and it doesn't lose nesting material every time the door is opened.
I think the chickens get used to the door (whatever type) being opened so it isn't a big deal either way.
Thank you! It's always nice to hear perspectives on details!

Back
Top Bottom