Sign language anyone?? (video added)

Quote:
Thanks...I try.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes, my parents say that... but they don't count; they have to say nice things
lol.png

AWESOME! They sound like great parents to me...you are VERY lucky!

And...yes, they DO count! BIG TIME!!!

Peace-

Pedro
cool.png

Paganfish, I'm not taking any classes, not yet, atleast. I just have the ASL book, the Religious Signing book, and videos on the internet.
I just thought, we do know an older deaf couple, I'll have to set up a meeting with them
big_smile.png

How exciting for you. I wanna hear MORE!

You mean see more
lol.png

I've taken ASL for several years, but I'm taking a break now. I think I need more serious courses to get to where I want to be. Many adult education programs have classes that you can take. It might be fun to find out if you like it. My finger spelling, both receptive and productive are horrible, and numbers can still give me problems. Deaf culture is fascinating, and learning a language that is inflected is fun.

Graceful, ASL uses facial expression and space to express meaning. Different expressions can completely change the meaning of a signed word. The space around you when you are signing can be used for reference to different people or objects you are taking about, to convey time or to convey distance. Slight shifts in body position can mean different people in a story that is being told.

ASL is a beautiful and subtle language.

Quote:
You mean see more
lol.png

OMG! I can't believe I said that...Yes, that's what I meant. GOod one! YOU'RE quick!
roll.png

I don't know if you've seen this. It's a dance preformed by some young girls somewhere in Asia. They are ALL Deaf and it's a real cool show. Always makes me cry for some reason...I think because it's such a beautiful display of dance and maybe the haunting music...Nah, I think it's because I am always amazed at what the human soul can do...how limitless it can be!

Enjoy-

Pedro

PS It is amazing that what you have learned has been by a book only! You are very good! Taking formal ASL classes will improve you tremendously but I can see you won't need that much improvement. I am mpressed!

mom'sfolly - thanks, I understand what you mean, I guess I just have to get it from my mind to my actions
hmm.png
lol.png

paganfish - thank you, I do want to take classes when they are available.

my son goes to a developmental preschool and they use a lot of singing in their everyday class room activities. There is not one kid in there that is deaf but it is also easier to learn when you are young.There are several signs he uses here at home. You do not just use signing for deaf people as in my sons class they use it for children that have trouble communicating. When my som was younger he was one of these children and it really dose help!!!! So tring to help everyone interested in learning ASL there is a large calling for it such as headstart, first steps, or any early childhood education especially with AUTUSIM. As far as it goes they are even teaching people that have a stroke and have trouble speaking.. so i guess i am just tring to say there is more call for it than people realize.....
SO KEEP UP ON YOUR PRACTICING AND DON'T LET ANYONE ASK YOU WHY BECAUSE THERE IS A BIG NEED FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I am hearing impaired but I dont do ASL however I am from the "old School" which I do sign in ESL as in English sign language with some ASL thrown into it. You might say its a mixed language of both worlds. Pure ASL always confuse me because I have always taught in straight English and did well in main stream schools.

I personally think there is a big demand for interpreters and they do get paid well however the downside is, that you would have to be very focused on the teacher's lectures and no distractions going on in the classroom so the interpreter can do her job and once in a while she would be very open to anyone that ask questions or you have questions for the teacher.

I dont teach my four year old daughter how to sign however she is very quick on picking up on signs being in preK school during the Xmas songs they performed. She is one smart kid, I must admit!

Hubby does not sign either but he does a little bit on those signs that are simple. None of my relatives and immediate families on both sides use sign language. So lip reading and CC on TV and movies are my best buddies. I love the chat rooms with strictly music backgrounds but for those who uses chatrooms to talk back and forth, forget it...its like foreign language to me....I can hear the voices but not capable of picking the words or understanding the sentences being communicated. Likewise for telephones, I must use TDDs. Now if I can find a cell phone that deaf people can use, all for the better but have not found one yet. Dont like to use the blackberry cell phones, big fingers do not type well in those tiny keyboards.

I was an interpreter for years however, after a car accident I can't do it any more. I get a headache when I watch sign language. I did watch your video and you did a very good job.

I'm full of a lot of praise, have one bit of advice and some sign suggestions that should help the next time you come across the words.

PRAISE Great choice of dress. it was dark and your hands stood out beautifully. I thought your face was fine. Yes, you didn't have alot of expression going on, you also didn't call too much attention to yourself. It is best to use less than too much. Deaf people don't want to watch you act - they just want to know what's going on. Your hands are what interests them. That is why it is important to chose the right clothing - you don't want to wear or do anything that would detract. OR bring attention to you or away from the singer, teacher or speaker. Remember you are JUST the interpreter - not the entertainment - and you did that beautifully!!!
wink.png
lol.png
cool.png

ADVICE- and I give this because it was given to me when I was first starting out. Although you were pretty fluid, sometimes you would bounce with the beat or repeat signs to the beat. "Don't stutter." I was told to try to not do that because it can be tiring on the deaf person's eyes. The example they used when explaining it to me was to liken it to stuttering - how it can be tiring for hearing people to listen to a bad stutterer. Not to mention, hard on your hands. After you've been interpreting for a while and carpal tunnel has started to set in, you won't want to move those hands any more than you need to.

SIGN SUGGESTIONS You asked if you used the signs correctly and I did notice some that I would have done differently...

Breath - Rather than brushing up your chest, think of how you breathe. Your chest rises and falls. So using the same hand position, with your right hand above the left, lay them on your chest and then breathe lifting both hands away and towards your chest a few times.

Together - joined as one. Do you know the sign for "of"? Both hands in 'f' shape with the thumbs interlacing? A good way to sign "together" is to bring those hands together, thumbs interlacing, symbolizing two people coming together. Once they are together do a forward circle with your hands.

World - Fingers in 'w' position, Rather than side ways the world rotates forward.

Walk - watch which way you are walking. You have the hands shaped fine but the video looked like you were moving backwards rather than forwards.

Darkness - Same as Walk - correct shaped hands, wrong direction. Darkness descends on us - not opens up.

Good luck.

By the way, starting pay for a certified interpreter at the local university is $45,000 (more than the people who teach them how to do it earns!!!).

i go to school at California State University Northridge and their is a really great ASL program here. the deaf community on campus is large. i frequently see people conversing and i've had many classes with deaf students and interpreters present. for anyone who wants to learn sign language it's a really good community (if your thinking of doing it as a profession).
just a thought!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom