Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
2013 "Blocks of Hope" Cancer Awareness Granny Square Swap

**Changed finished square size to 8" x 8" due to not being able to find any 6" patterns.**

Theme: The theme of this Swap is "Blocks of Hope". This theme is based on the different Cancer Awareness Ribbons & giving hope to loved one(or others) that are dealing with this horrible disease or have beat it.

Important Info: All granny squares should be made in the Cancer Awareness colors & the final round done in Red Heart Dark Orchid(#0776), this color will represent the Caregiver Ribbon, and all the wonderful people that support & care for people dealing with this disease. *If you would like to you can include a note, with your finished blocks, and share a little bit about your experience with Cancer or some words of encouragement for the people fighting the disease.*

Patterns: Any 8" x 8" pattern is acceptable, including classic granny squares. (I didn't have much luck finding 6" patterns) Here are a few links to patterns that are very fitting for this theme.

Squares:
Cancer Ribbon afghan square.
Beautiful Awareness Ribbon square.
Puff Stitch Cancer Awareness square(Message me for pattern)
Ribbon Square This is a dishcloth pattern that's a little big but could be adjusted for this swap.
Appliques: Would work great on basic granny squares!
Awareness Ribbon Crochet Pattern
Awareness Ribbon #2

Yarn Type: Acrylic Worsted Weight

Colors: Cancer Awareness Ribbon colors(listed here). Final Round done in Red Heart Dark Orchid #0776 to represent Caregivers. This is a pretty easy-to-find color but if anyone has any trouble finding/getting it please let me know.

Number of Squares: Each person is required to make 1 square for each participant, including yourself. If you choose to do more than one set please let me know when you sign up. If you sign up to do two sets you will be counted as two entries, this means you will receive the same number squares back as you sent in. Please message me if you don't understand or have questions about this.

Dates:
Sign-Ups
will be open until August 31st, Unless we receive an outstanding number of entries. If this happens, sign ups will be closed early(don't want anyone feeling overwhelmed!). .
Completion Deadline is September 30th 2013. This means you MUST have your squares finished and in the mail on their way to me by Sept. 30th.

Other info:
Tracking/confirmation is NOT required, just let us know here when you mail your squares off. I will sort all of the squares as soon as I receive everyone's boxes.

PLEASE include return postage for your squares.
This can be cash, check, or prepaid postage/stamps. Just put it in an envelope, in the box, with your squares.
*Flat rate boxes work well for swaps since you know exactly how much return postage will be. These are preferred but not required, If you send your squares in a regular(non-flat rate) box I will try to reuse the box so return postage is the same but I cannot guarantee that it will be. If there is any problem regarding return postage cost I will let you know before I mail your squares back.

Please PM me for mailing address when you're ready to send in your squares.

I think that about covers it! If anyone has any questions or suggestions please feel free to post here or message me. I will update the participant list as new people sign up.

Swappers:
#1 Bleenie
#2 Kassaundra - Multiple Myeloma
#3 sonderah - Childhood Cancer
#4 savnnah07 - Melanoma
#5 acemario - brain cancer
#6 rancher hicks

#7 Mykel (acemario family) - Breast Cancer
#8 Kassidi (acemario family)
#9 rancher hicks (friend)

Last edited:
I'm in, I love those two blocks w/ the raised ribbon.

You could make the square smaller by choosing a smaller hook, or going down one stitch, didn't read the pattern yet, but if it calls for double you could go to half-double.

Got you guys on the list. :)

Thanks sonderah!
Kass, I haven't read the pattern yet either but Really like the square with the small ribbons around it. I think it can probably be reworked, maybe with the ribbons closer together or in a smaller stitch possibly. I'm gonna try to male it work though!

I live in a VERY tiny town, don't even have a super Walmart! So, I drove 2 hours round trip today to shop for yarn. STILL couldn't find any dark orchid! Lol I'll have to order it I guess and have it shipped site to my tiny store.

I was a little worried about making the border a set color because I know some yarns are hard for people to find. I'm sorry you're having trouble finding it, if it turns out to be too difficult to get, I don't have a problem changing the requirement. It would be nice if a single color tied it all together but don't want anyone stressing out about not being able to find/get the exact color.

Kmart's over here(in WA) don't sell yarn! I wish they did it's always nice having another place to buy yarn, lol.

I was a little worried about making the border a set color because I know some yarns are hard for people to find. I'm sorry you're having trouble finding it, if it turns out to be too difficult to get, I don't have a problem changing the requirement. It would be nice if a single color tied it all together but don't want anyone stressing out about not being able to find/get the exact color.

Kmart's over here(in WA) don't sell yarn! I wish they did it's always nice having another place to buy yarn, lol.
Kmart in Oklahoma doesn't either. I haven't looked yet, but Hobby Lobby carries lots of red heart so I don't know yet but doubt it will be a problem for me.

If you are not near a store then ordering on line should make it easier to find the right color.

Anyone can order it and have it shipped to their home. I think they may even ship it to a local Kmart for free, but I did not read the fine print.

Its not a big a deal at all. I can order it and get it. It sounds like a good idea and should make it a lot easier to piece them. :)

Back
Top Bottom