Signs Chicken is *ABOUT* to Start a Molt

buffy-the-eggpile-layer

Crowing
5 Years
May 29, 2019
My flock boss, Willow, a hybrid RIR, is having a rough summer. Health-wise, she'd been great. She's almost 3.5 years old and she's been laying quite well all through the summer--though, slightly less than the previous summer, which I understand to be normal. However, over the last week or two she's slowed down quite a bit and now hasn't laid for going on a week. She's also become a lot quieter and more docile (she's typically our bossiest, loudest, highest drive hen)--and isn't stuffing her face like she normally does. She naps, preens, and just does everything super low key. Last night she slept in the nesting box but was up and at 'em in the morning like the others.

So, is it normal for chickens to slow down like this before a molt? Everything I see says it happens during but not before--so I'm a little concerned. She did molt early September last year.

Also, crop is emptying normally, poop is normal colored but watery (it's been hot and she's eating less), no signs of abdominal swelling, comb is still red but not quite as vibrant as it was when she was laying regularly.

Impending molt and likely a break in the laying cycle accompanied by hormonal changes account for her behavior.
This is heartening to hear--I hope you're right! I worry about reproductive disease, because thus far, that's been the sole cause of death in my hens (I lost my first two hens after the age of 3, earlier this spring to EYP/internal laying). However, she's not showing any of the traditional signs of reproductive disease other than cessation of laying, which times up with molting season ( :fl ). I'll be so happy when I see an explosion of red feathers one morning.

My flock boss, Willow, a hybrid RIR, is having a rough summer. Health-wise, she'd been great. She's almost 3.5 years old and she's been laying quite well all through the summer--though, slightly less than the previous summer, which I understand to be normal. However, over the last week or two she's slowed down quite a bit and now hasn't laid for going on a week. She's also become a lot quieter and more docile (she's typically our bossiest, loudest, highest drive hen)--and isn't stuffing her face like she normally does. She naps, preens, and just does everything super low key. Last night she slept in the nesting box but was up and at 'em in the morning like the others.

So, is it normal for chickens to slow down like this before a molt? Everything I see says it happens during but not before--so I'm a little concerned. She did molt early September last year.

Also, crop is emptying normally, poop is normal colored but watery (it's been hot and she's eating less), no signs of abdominal swelling, comb is still red but not quite as vibrant as it was when she was laying regularly.
This is heartening to hear--I hope you're right! I worry about reproductive disease, because thus far, that's been the sole cause of death in my hens (I lost my first two hens after the age of 3, earlier this spring to EYP/internal laying). However, she's not showing any of the traditional signs of reproductive disease other than cessation of laying, which times up with molting season ( :fl ). I'll be so happy when I see an explosion of red feathers one morning.
Hi Buffy
How has Willow been? Was this pre-moult blues? I hope so.
I’m hoping my Dottie’s behaviour (not eating pellets, isolating, acting low-key, not like her as she’s top hen) is due to impending moult.
I’ve also lost a hen to ovary/reproductive disease and am worried it’s that.
She last laid on Sunday, 3 days ago, and she usually lays every other day - she’s at least 4 years old, I’ve had her for just over 2 years, just hoping it’s due to her moult about to begin.

Thanks
Hayley

Hi Buffy
How has Willow been? Was this pre-moult blues? I hope so.
I’m hoping my Dottie’s behaviour (not eating pellets, isolating, acting low-key, not like her as she’s top hen) is due to impending moult.
I’ve also lost a hen to ovary/reproductive disease and am worried it’s that.
She last laid on Sunday, 3 days ago, and she usually lays every other day - she’s at least 4 years old, I’ve had her for just over 2 years, just hoping it’s due to her moult about to begin.

Thanks
Hayley
She ended up molting a week or so after I posted this, thankfully. And it was a hard molt. But yeah, I understand your concern. I always jump to the reproductive disease conclusion when a hen seems off, because so often that's the case. And, at least in my experience, this most often happens when hens are going into or out of lay for a season (spring or fall). The transition seems to be hard on them. Ex, my EE Darla had a case of eyp right from her last egg of the fall. She's okay now and I'm thinking will start molting soon.

Are you noticing any other worrying symptoms? Is her crop emptying overnight? Is her poop normal?

She ended up molting a week or so after I posted this, thankfully. And it was a hard molt. But yeah, I understand your concern. I always jump to the reproductive disease conclusion when a hen seems off, because so often that's the case. And, at least in my experience, this most often happens when hens are going into or out of lay for a season (spring or fall). The transition seems to be hard on them. Ex, my EE Darla had a case of eyp right from her last egg of the fall. She's okay now and I'm thinking will start molting soon.

Are you noticing any other worrying symptoms? Is her crop emptying overnight? Is her poop normal?
Thanks so much for your reply, gives me some reassurance. Like you though I’ll keep worrying until I see white feathers on the coop floor!
Poop is normal although not as much as she’s eating so little - sunflower seeds and a bit of cucumber today. Foraging now and then, but also sitting off whilst the others are doing the usual stuff.
Vet took a look at her on Monday and said there’s no obvious issue, but she didn’t mention moulting, and I didn’t even think until I spotted your post today. Crop a bit slow tbf - which I was most concerned about.
Who knew they’d be such a worry!

My molting chicken slept in the nesting box as well. It seems some days she would jump up and the normal evening banter on the roost takes places and she just didnt want to participate so I'd watch her jump down and go into nesting box. Next morning she was normal. This continued for a couple weeks. She was not laying during this soft molt but eventually joined the banter of the evening and is roosting normal again. As for laying???? My goodness, will they ever lay again?? Time will tell. I live in a valley where it doesnt really get light here until 7am in the colder season. I was not concerned with the nest sleeping because her daytime behavior was 90% normal other than looking lazy and uninterested (but always excepted treats). Good luck!

My molting chicken slept in the nesting box as well. It seems some days she would jump up and the normal evening banter on the roost takes places and she just didnt want to participate so I'd watch her jump down and go into nesting box. Next morning she was normal. This continued for a couple weeks. She was not laying during this soft molt but eventually joined the banter of the evening and is roosting normal again. As for laying???? My goodness, will they ever lay again?? Time will tell. I live in a valley where it doesnt really get light here until 7am in the colder season. I was not concerned with the nest sleeping because her daytime behavior was 90% normal other than looking lazy and uninterested (but always excepted treats). Good luck!
Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience. It turns out she was about to molt, and has now just finished it up (she looks so glam with her new, glossy feathers!). However, she's not yet started to lay again--like you, we don't get light until after 7a this time of year. That said, she's a high production breed pushing 4 y/o, so I want her to take as long a break as possible because I know it takes a toll on her. The nice part about molting season is that I don't have to worry so much about EYP or other reproductive issues--which thus far, have been the only thing I've lost hens to .

Is it sad to say that i almost prefer non laying hens?! They took 4 months off from laying (combination of molt/weather). And now all of them have been egg machines since January and i am constantly worried about egg laying issues. Havnt experienced any egg laying issues as of yet, but they are 2yrs old early May and as the clock ticks forward, i wonder still, my plan if i have a suffering hen due to an egg issue. When they all stopped laying for so long, because they were over a year old, i thought maybe they are done laying for good. Before i could even consider getting more chicks, they turned on production. 🤷‍♀️who knows. Guess I'll cross bridges when i get there. 🐓❤️

Is it sad to say that i almost prefer non laying hens?! They took 4 months off from laying (combination of molt/weather). And now all of them have been egg machines since January and i am constantly worried about egg laying issues. Havnt experienced any egg laying issues as of yet, but they are 2yrs old early May and as the clock ticks forward, i wonder still, my plan if i have a suffering hen due to an egg issue. When they all stopped laying for so long, because they were over a year old, i thought maybe they are done laying for good. Before i could even consider getting more chicks, they turned on production. 🤷‍♀️who knows. Guess I'll cross bridges when i get there. 🐓❤️
I'm so glad you haven't experienced it yet (and hope you never do), though it's good that your aware of the risk and its something you look out for. Early detection is key to defeating reproductive issues. It's also important to have the right supplies on hand. I now always have baytril 10 in stock since it's proven to be so helpful if immediately dosed. I regret not having figured this out earlier, as it may have saved the first two hens I lost.

I'm glad to hear you're having a productive spring! And I totally agree that, knowing what I know now, I much prefer my hens just retire and enjoy the good life.

Back
Top Bottom