signs of aggression?

Update: I rethought processing the aggressive tom. I left the 2 hens with one tom and put the other two toms in a separate run. The two toms are getting along and the 2 hens with the single tom seem very calm. Hopefully I solved the problem because I didn't want to process any of them. Keep your fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Good! hope that solves the problem! Its no fun when a animal is grumpy and tries to hurt you. Crossin my paws for ya.

Well today was the big test, I watered and fed the two toms I moved to another run, the tom that was aggressive towards me was very calm and docile. The two hens and tom I kept together seem very calm also, as I checked on them last night the tom bred with one of the hens without any problems, the hen was submissive and let him do his thing and the other hen just laid beside the mating pair. Hopefully now the hens will start laying eggs.
wee.gif

I have had turkeys off and on for years, and also geese. Normally there is no issue, but I don't make pets of them. However, with mean geese (mother in law had some white Chinese that were mean to pretty much everyone), I have found a way to cure almost all of them of the aggression. You do have be determined to accomplish this, and can't go at it half heartedly. What has worked for me is to get ahold of the bird and lay it on the ground on it's back. Just hold it in that position for 30 seconds to a minute. Then let it up. They have always walked away from me at that point and usually avoid me for a week or two before they decide they must have been mistaken with what happened and try again. About the third time for most birds they just acknowledge that you are not one to mess with. My toms strut around at this time a year, and for the most part I just ignore them. I will be surprised if they become human aggressive. Just remember that a tom is somewhat like a bull. They are different than hens. Think different and react different. Not sure I would keep for breeding a tom that was intent on attacking me. I know temperament is inherited in other animals, so why not turkeys or geese or chickens for that matter.
With cattle, often a pet bull is more dangerous as they are so gentle they have lost fear and respect for humans. (We have had pet bulls, but I never trust them as I will a cow) This is probably part of the aggression in the birds as well --they have become TOO tame. Where I might make a pet of a hen, I draw the line at the male birds. I have small grandkids here, and a mean rooster gets zero tolerance, as they will hit a child right in the face and can inflict damage. Too easy to get another nice rooster than to put up with a dangerous one.
Having said all that, if separating them works I am all for that.
And that is my two cents worth.

Back
Top Bottom