Silkie breeders, I have showing questions needing answered

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
Right now I have a bunch of silkie eggs in my incubator and have 2 that are about 6 weeks old. I am thinking about getting into showing them for next year. I have lots of questions so if you wouldn't mind answering them I'd greatly appreciate it. Here goes.

1.At what age can you start showing pullets and cockerels?

2.What are the accepted colors you are able to show?

3. Do you have to be a member of the APA, ABA and the Silkie Organization too? I'm sure there are benefits to being members.

4. I am not NPIP certified. Do birds have to be tested or can they be tested before entering a show? I was told by the silkie breeders I bought eggs from that they can do the test right there, is this true?

5. Do birds have to be vaccinated in order to enter shows? If so what? I am really against vaccinating and have never vaccinated my chicks in the past and don't plan on starting. If they do need to be vaccinated would rather go the holistic route of using nosodes instead.

6. How do you transport your bird(s) to shows? Do you have a specific poultry cage or can you do you use a cat/dog carrier?

Any other info you care to share w/ me that I might have missed would be greatly appreciated. I am located in the Bay Area of Ca. so if anyone knows of any local shows in my area if you could point me in that direction of finding out what time of year they are that would be great.

Thanks

ok here goes
1. they may be six months old before you can sex them if then, I usually wait until 8 months so they are filled out more

2. black, blue, splash, white, buff , partridge, gray, and lavender

3. no but it is a great way to meet people

4. it is best to get tested before the show not all shows have testers on hand.

5. no vaccines required

6. cat carriers work fine, just make sure whatever you use is well ventalated

I'm going to add one thing to the age answer. There is a weight requirement, at six months they may not reach the lowest weight.

If you want to sell to other Silkie breeders you will find that being certified NPIP is to your advantage. Some states ban NPIP participants from buying birds or eggs from non participants.

I agree with being a member with at least the ASBC and the ABA.

Depending on where you plan to show, most western states (Oregon being the exception) do not require testing or NPIP to exhibit your birds. SPecifically, there is no requirement for testing in California, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Washington. I do not think there is a requirement in Nevada, but am not 100% positive.

IMO, a bird needs to be at least 8 months old to show well. You can show any variety, but only recognised varieties can place above Best of Variety.

I've seen just about every sort of carrier use that you can imagine. IMO, don't go out and purchase a bunch of carriers until you have a show or two under your belt, and can observe what others use and decide if it will work well for you. FWIW, a cardboard wine case is usually an excellent size for a silkie. Put some shavings in the bottom and cover the top with wire and presto you have an almost free carrier.

Quote:
Did not realize there was a weight requirement. Can you tell me what that weight requirement is? Obviously it is different for males and females. I am interested in getting NPIP certification just don't know if it's a costly thing. Not only am I getting into the silkies but I also have Ameraucana's as well. Probably won't show them as as of right now the color I have (Lavender) is not an approved color. I will have to check out cost of membership to the ASBC and ABA.

Depending on where you plan to show, most western states (Oregon being the exception) do not require testing or NPIP to exhibit your birds. SPecifically, there is no requirement for testing in California, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Washington. I do not think there is a requirement in Nevada, but am not 100% positive.

I don't really plan on showing out of California. If I did decide probably would just go to Nevada (Reno area if there are any shows up that way, but that would be down the line.

Who in my state would I need to contact for the NPIP certification. And is it costly? Meaning how much does it cost per bird and is it a test where the results are available right away or do you have to wait for results. With the NPIP cert is pullorum the only thing tested for or other things included in the test too? Again I live in the San Francisco bay area of California. And would I need to get my whole flock (some of my birds are mutts, not sure if they would need to be tested) tested or just the breeds I plan on showing and/or selling eggs and chicks from?

Thanks​

Weights: Cock 36 oz Cockeral 32 oz Hen 32 oz Pullet 28 oz

You can google CA State Ag, they will probably have a phone number listed for the State Vet. That's who you need to ask about NPIP costs and procedures. Unless I am certified its is free in my state and to be certified its a 25 dollar fee.

ASBC is 20 I think per year. You would think that having just renewed a few months ago I'd remember. ABA for an individual is 20.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. I also contacted the person in my state for becoming NPIP certified. Found out that the program is subsidized here in Ca. so no fee is charged for the person to come out and pull blood, and no fee for the lab either. Only time a fee would be charged is if the subsidization goes away. The person on the phone was very informative and she is sending me a info packet in the mail. She did say that it cost $100/yr for the certification. It could have been $50 to as I can't remember what one of the $50 fees was for. But the 2nd $50 fee is the certification fee, and that they come out every 6mo. to test for AI and once a year for pullorum. I'm supplying this info for anyone on here that might live in Ca. and are thinking about doing this as I am.

The point of NPIP is testing the entire flock. If you are just testing for a show, you only need ot test the birds that are being taken. For example, trying to get NPIP certified in Arizona is nearly impossible. When I went to the Shawnee show last December, I had to have the birds I took tested; so just the ones I planned to take were tested. If I were to take exactly those same birds to a show that required testing, I would have to hav ehtem re-tested. But if my flock were NPIP, all I would need is a copy of the flock certification.

Back
Top Bottom