Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote:
Very helpful. Thank you!!
smile.png

I was about to add that if I already had such a rich chocolate colouring in a better typed bird, I probably would not consider using this boy.

Hawkeye, I sent you a PM about our new black cockerel...who is sick...ugh!!!!!
There are several reasons to band your bird. First of all, if you show, you must have your flock NPIP tested or have a 90 day cert on them to be able to show them. You are required to band every adult bird at that point so that will reflect that they have been tested. The most popular bands for bantams are the ABA bands that are permanent -- they are a solid ring and you put them on while the bird is growing and when they won't fall off. You can also use a thick spiral band that you pull apart and spirals back on the leg and those have numbers on them. They also come in diff colors so you could switch colors for each year, that way at a glance, you know that yellow was 2011, and blue was 2012. Before I ever band a bird, I use zip ties when they are chicks to identify parents. So all chicks with AB parents will be yellow... and chicks with parents CD will be red, and so on. Just whatever colors you decide to use and when you are filling out your records, you record numbers, colors, etc. Be careful with zipties-- they grow out of them quickly and you need to stay on top of it to clip them off and replace them (with the same color or move on to a permanent band). I have a local store called Valley Feed and Seed and they carry leg bands. So I have bought mine there, and of course, you can get them online. There are also the metal bands that must be put on with a tool. Here in Kansas, it is generally required that we use a metal band that is attached permanently. Depends on what your NPIP rules ask of the owners. You can still add an ABA band when they are growing, or the NPIP might just go ahead and use the ABA band to record with.

Adora, What a cutie! Congratulations on another gal to add to the breeding pen.
Ahha, the laying culprit....

Sonoran, Thank you for the picture! It is so helpful.
It is a genetic fault, and I'd prefer to eliminate it. I've never seen a bird DQed for it, but DQs are not the only reason to remove a bird from breeding. A bird with the incorrect number of toes can still produce offspring with the correct number. The foot on the bottom of this photo has lobster claws; the upper foot is similar, but not quite spaced like most lobster claws. Lobster claws will get you DQed as they are extra toes.

At least these birds don't have two nails growing out of one nail bed. Nevertheless, I didn't keep him for breeding.

I thought y'all would enjoy this!!
~*This is my daughter carrying "siz" our silky X frizzle roo around today*~
8DD97198-6F19-4D4A-8BEB-A01B00641A97-5362-0000063F1020C7E8_zpse899fc31.jpg

Thank you! Dont let her innocent look fool you hahaha!!!! I love him he is just adorable! I dont know much about sizzles, he is my first, but i would like to know more and maybe breed them! He has the sweetest disposition and is nothing but friz hahaha!
How perfectly adorable!!! Such a darling little girl and your roo is an angel! THIS is why I love these birds....:love

Back
Top Bottom