Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Well of course they are both stunning!! Thanks she loves to help with all the animals:)
Have you been over to the Silkie Thread? This is really more of a genetics/breeding discussion thread, and the other thread is really high energy and a lot of fun with a lot of people posting pictures of their silkies all the time! I think you'd love it! And of course-- they talk about Silkies and it's a faster paced thread than this one is. Not trying to boot you off, just thinking that you might really love the Silkie Thread, too!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have a breeding question. I've been hatching a few chicks from my Grays. I've been getting a variety of shades. Some really dark some really light.
sydetuve.jpg

This is an example of a light one. Is this color acceptable for a gray?

Have you been over to the Silkie Thread?  This is really more of a genetics/breeding discussion thread, and the other thread is really high energy and a lot of fun with a lot of people posting pictures of their silkies all the time!  I think you'd love it!  And of course-- they talk about Silkies and it's a faster paced thread than this one is.  Not trying to boot you off, just thinking that you might really love the Silkie Thread, too!  :D

No I haven't. I'll go look

I have a breeding question. I've been hatching a few chicks from my Grays. I've been getting a variety of shades. Some really dark some really light.
sydetuve.jpg

This is an example of a light one. Is this color acceptable for a gray?
As a chick, they change color so much! I wouldn't judge a chick at that age just yet on color. And I know greys can be like blues, where they do have some color range to them. Hang in there and wait and see how this one matures out. I can say for now-- he's got beautiful coloring on him and I'd like to see him again in about 4 more months!

I had some grays with autosomal red (?) come out of one of my partridge hatches. I just set some eggs to try to identify which hen is throwing this color. Is there a certain colored partridge that might have more of a tendency to throw this color? I have 2 hens that are blue based, 3 that are more of the "normal" partridge coloring, 2 that are almost black with parti pencilling and one that is buff based. I would like to move the hen that is throwing this grey/red (calico) coloring into my pet/sale pen before hatching season. Thank you all!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom