Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Hello everyone someone on our craigslist has this silkie roo and is saying he could be a great show bird! I want to start showing silkies and he didn't look as stunning as y'alls. What are y'alls opinion?
018E5F74-7217-435E-B036-5F967C082044-1606-0000024150E2FA4C_zpsbcffda46.jpg

Hello everyone someone on our craigslist has this silkie roo and is saying he could be a great show bird! I want to start showing silkies and he didn't look as stunning as y'alls. What are y'alls opinion?
018E5F74-7217-435E-B036-5F967C082044-1606-0000024150E2FA4C_zpsbcffda46.jpg

I would have to see a couple more pictures of the feet, head and top view for a better judging. From the picture you have, it seems the legs are too close together and the wattle is a bit too big. The crest is not as full as it should be. The ears appear to be white? This is all just my opinion as the picture shows to me, other may have their own opinion in which i will not argue with.

There are quite a few DQ's and point infractions on silkies that cannot be clearly seen with this picture.

write the seller and ask. !. does he have 5 toes on each foot and the middle toes are feathered. 2 What color are the ears, wattles and comb..3. Ask for more pictures.

Last edited:
I would have to see a couple more pictures of the feet, head and top view for a better judging.    From the picture you have, it seems the legs are too close together and the wattle is a bit too big. The crest is not as full as it should be. The ears appear to be white? [COLOR=FF0000]This is all just my opinion as the picture shows to me, other may have their own opinion in which i will not argue with.[/COLOR]

There are quite a few DQ's and point infractions on silkies that cannot be clearly seen with this picture.

write the seller and ask.  !.  does he have 5 toes on each foot and the middle toes are feathered. 2 What color are the ears, wattles and comb..3. Ask for more pictures.

Thank you! I will see if I can get some more he just didn't look like I would pay $40 for

Quote: For a non-bearded he might be fair breeder, but is certainly not a showbird. Tail is wrong (sickles are not soft--too hard and pointed), crest and foot feathers are lacking. Body is nice and wide and rounded, though, and paired with a nice non-bearded girl you might get some pretty decent babies. $40 is too much for him; $20-30 is probably okay, especially if you have an appropriate non-bearded girl to work with, or they have one they will sell with him as a pair. If the later, look to the total price, not individual pricing to determine whether the the pair is worth the cost.

For a non-bearded he might be  fair breeder, but is certainly not a showbird.  Tail is wrong (sickles are not soft--too hard and pointed), crest and foot feathers are lacking.  Body is nice and wide and rounded, though, and paired with a nice non-bearded girl you might get some pretty decent babies.  $40 is too much for him; $20-30 is probably okay, especially if you have an appropriate non-bearded girl to work with, or they have one they will sell with him as a pair.  If the later, look to the total price, not individual pricing to determine whether the the pair is worth the cost.

I do actually have a nice breeder white non bearded girl that I was wanting to try and work with and see if she would throw me any good offspring

has anyone tried using a mud mask on their chicken's feet? i just put an avocado and oatmeal mud mask on ice's toes, i wanna see if there's a difference. I use a mud bath for dogs on their feathers, it works great!

Back
Top Bottom