Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I wouldn't do both at the same time..Ivemectin will kill almost everything...wait a week to see if it is working and redose after 2 weeks. If it is mites, you will have to treat all your birds.
Ok I will wait then. I went to the feed store and the only ivemectin they had was the paste. I remember I had a bottle of ivomec eprinex (pour on for beef and dairy cattle) and was wondering if it was the same.
I checked her this morning after giving her the spa treatment with oatmeal, her skin is a lot better (thank you Tina). I think it helps getting rid of all the dead skin. What surprises me is none of the others are developing any symptoms. She is the only one and I have been checking on them for the past two weeks. I might wait another week to treat for mites but continue applying vaseline and next weekend I will give her another bath treatment. Thank you for helping :)

I was looking over my newest batch of chicks and this is what developed.

Is crossbeak a genetic thing or can it be something during incubation? It hasn't popped up before. I'm hoping it's a freak thing, but I'm afraid that it may be one of the hens or the roo. I feel the need to break the hens down into groups of 2 so I can more closely monitor and identify who is throwing what. So frustrating!

I'm sorry to say, this is more than likely genetic. Thankfully, it also seems to be pretty rare but common enough in Silkies (and Ameraucanas - the ones I have experience with). You might learn more if you do as you plan, break things down and keep careful records. That will save you a TON of heartbreak down the road. But you might also just have to deal with the ones that cross here and there.
sad.png

I'm sorry to say, this is more than likely genetic. Thankfully, it also seems to be pretty rare but common enough in Silkies (and Ameraucanas - the ones I have experience with). You might learn more if you do as you plan, break things down and keep careful records. That will save you a TON of heartbreak down the road. But you might also just have to deal with the ones that cross here and there.
sad.png
I think you are right....genetic. Terrible thing. I am in no hurry, I am somewhat limited on separation space right now because the birds are in the barn, unless I move the cockerels back out to the coop. They are an annoying bunch of hormone driven idiots right now.
lau.gif
With all that attitude and hot air, they should stay plenty warm.

How well does using dye in the vent work? If its a good method, what is the best way to administer the food coloring and how often? I have another clutch due to hatch this weekend, it will be interesting to see what pops up.

How well does using dye in the vent work? If its a good method, what is the best way to administer the food coloring and how often? I have another clutch due to hatch this weekend, it will be interesting to see what pops up.
Somebody here on the forum had put some sort of coloring on her hens vents to see who laid what egg. I just can't remember what exactly she had used for the coloring.
Can anyone remember??

Last edited:
Quote: Exactly. There are very few "always" and "never" decisions. It depends on how the bird compares to others in your flock as well as its overall quality. Your selection choices should always trend to improving the flock, but a single fault or even DQ may be a better breeding choice for a generation or two than a bird who does not have the fault, but in other ways is not as good.

Exactly. There are very few "always" and "never" decisions. It depends on how the bird compares to others in your flock as well as its overall quality. Your selection choices should always trend to improving the flock, but a single fault or even DQ may be a better breeding choice for a generation or two than a bird who does not have the fault, but in other ways is not as good.
Thank you. I will keep an eye on her until then.

I was looking over my newest batch of chicks and this is what developed.

Is crossbeak a genetic thing or can it be something during incubation? It hasn't popped up before. I'm hoping it's a freak thing, but I'm afraid that it may be one of the hens or the roo. I feel the need to break the hens down into groups of 2 so I can more closely monitor and identify who is throwing what. So frustrating!
I keep track of every parent of every chick so if something pops up I can track and see if its happening again and how frequently. It's more work of course but worth the extra effort.

I keep track of every parent of every chick so if something pops up I can track and see if its happening again and how frequently. It's more work of course but worth the extra effort.
I agree, more than worth it. I started to split one of the larger pens tonight, so I can separate the hens into 2 groups. This is a new rooster as well, so we are back to the drawing board, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom