Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

What kind of information do you all make note of during incubation and how often do you candle? I'm considering using the weighing process for our next batch, in order to accurately control the humidity needed for a good hatch rate.

Im not having good luck with hatches and want to figure out what's wrong and what's right...

Last edited:
What do you guys use to keep track of what you breed?
I've been reading that breeders keep records of the birds they breed and hatch. What kind of information do you keep and how?
big_smile.png

What do you guys use to keep track of what you breed?
I've been reading that breeders keep records of the birds they breed and hatch. What kind of information do you keep and how?
big_smile.png
Someone was kind enough to share their Chick Information sheet last year, I made a few changes to fit my needs. If addition to the info document, I also have a spread sheet, and folders containing pictures of each individual and their progress.

My hatch is complete with the Cat dance eggs. I am totally confused and I have never had this happen before. I posted earlier that I was concerned about the amount of liquid in the egg and it was a legitimate concern. On day 18 I posted that picture. This was my first attempt with Bantams. All the chicks were perfectly formed. 5 chicks had the yolk almost completely absorbed. 4 of them had quite a bit of yolk left. They were no larger than a nickel. One was the size of the tip of my finger. 3/4 of the eggs was filed with clear liquid. The chicks were literally swimming in goo. It did not smell and almost gelatin in consistency. much thicker than albumin. I would post pictures but it is pretty gruesome to see dead chicks.

Has anyone had this happen and does anyone know why this did happen?

Someone was kind enough to share their Chick Information sheet last year, I made a few changes to fit my needs. If addition to the info document, I also have a spread sheet, and folders containing pictures of each individual and their progress.
What kind of information would you have on your chick information sheet? I have no idea where to start!
lol.png

Quote:
Hatch date, if there was anything remarkable about the hatch (i.e. did I have to help), who the parents are (or breeder), and a description of the chick (number of toes, colour, skin colour, leg colour, feathered shanks/middle toe, vaulted or not, etc.), band number/colour, and name. I also include photos. Later on I include information about sex and when they lay their first egg, a description of their egg colour and any other additional notes/comments I might have about their development. (Crooked beak, crooked toes, etc. Helps me keep track of what might be going on with the parents.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom