Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

So interesting! And I dusted my new birds with Sevin when they went into quarantine last fall...does it do anything at all? I will definitely switch to permithrins/pryrethrins.

If anyone is nervous about using permithrins don't be! It is very, very safe. It used to be recommended for restaurants to use in food prep areas for bug control (I don't know if it still is or not since I haven't worked in a restaurant in a while). While in Africa I saw fields upon fields of it growing to be used for our insecticide industry - beautiful plant! And it is a major ingredient in the flysprays we use on our horses; been using that for 40 years and I'm still healthy
ya.gif
. I'm actually relieved that you told us to use it, Dragonlady, since I feel much better about spraying that on my coops and birds instead of Sevin dust

Sonoran, If you could help me out with your vast knowledge of genetics I would appreciate it. Or anyone else that knows about this. I am trying to learn about the genetics but I am not sure on this one. I bought hatching eggs and this one hatched out with partridge markings but they were a grayish color and the rest of her was white. Now that she is older she is white but her tail has this grayish coloring. What does this mean. Does this mean that there was two recessive white genes from both parents causing her to be white? Would this allow for her to still show those partridge markings when she was a baby? Thanks!!!

Sorry they aren't that great. It is hard to get the coloring to show right!

Sonoran, If you could help me out with your vast knowledge of genetics I would appreciate it. Or anyone else that knows about this. I am trying to learn about the genetics but I am not sure on this one. I bought hatching eggs and this one hatched out with partridge markings but they were a grayish color and the rest of her was white. Now that she is older she is white but her tail has this grayish coloring. What does this mean. Does this mean that there was two recessive white genes from both parents causing her to be white? Would this allow for her to still show those partridge markings when she was a baby? Thanks!!!

Sorry they aren't that great. It is hard to get the coloring to show right!
She looks porcelain not white

Sevin will NOT kill Northern Fowl mites. I have a resident family of wrens in my main coop. Mama and 5 babies are spending the winter under cover in a "See Rock City" house. They get dusted right along with my Orps.The wrens are worth their weight in gold for fly and mosquito protection, so I take care of them.

You must get on a 6 week program of dusting/ spraying , especially if you are showing.Permethrin dust and spray does the trick. Garlic does not. Liquid permethrin sprayed in the coops works quickly. Dust your birds when you leave a show with permethrin dust.
Yes, I'm sorry, I meant permethrin dust. I think that you have told me before that Sevin doesn't work. EVERYONE be sure to wear protective clothing, gloves, and masks when handling any of these chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom