Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Twice a year I have the "Big clean out." Everyone goes out of the hen house. I clean everything out of shavings and hay. After sweeping I spray with Permethrin spray from top to bottom, roosts, nesting boxes...everything. Let it dry and spray again. After that I start taking the chickens one by one...worming them and then spray down with the permethrin sray. Then 2 weeks later worm again with Ivermectin pour on. I have been fortunate to not have had a big problem with mites or worms but I take measures to prevent them. I do this in March and August. I sprinkle all the nesting boxes and cage bottoms with Sevin powder as a preventative. I have sand in my runs and sometimes will sprinkle the sevin around a little in between my clean outs. I think if someone brings a chicken to show with mites should be removed immediately when the judge finds them. When I buy from someone...even reputable breeders (not to be disrespective) I always worm and treat for mites just to be on the safe side and always suggest others to do as well. Well...that is my 2 cents as to what I do and so far it has worked.
Thank you so much!

Yes, that is exactly what they are. The poor girl looks so miserable. Today I bathed her and with some tweezer I removed as much dead skin I could. She looks better but I am not sure they are all dead. I applied frontline on February 14th and was wondering how long I should wait to apply some more (I know it is usually 3 months, but for a severe case is it the same amount of time?)
Liquid permethrin will work better to get under that dead skin. I'd spray her crest, and work it into the skin of her face, head, and neck with my fingers. Nasty little boogers !

Quote:
What percentage is the liquid permethrin you are using?

(After months of struggling and failing, it does appear the Frontline has taken care of the mites on my Silkies for now. I'm curious to see how long it lasts. My buggiest and truly half bald boy was crowing his head off this morning. I haven't seen him do that in AGES so I'm thinking he must be feeling less itchy, even if he is a bit cold.)

Last edited:
Is this little one looking like a boy
hmm.png
My friend's gonna be so upset if it is, she lives in an apartment so she'll have to rehome the little guy. The comb looks big to me, but it may be because it barely has any crest feathers yet.

Last edited:
What percentage is the liquid permethrin you are using?

(After months of struggling and failing, it does appear the Frontline has taken care of the mites on my Silkies for now. I'm curious to see how long it lasts. My buggiest and truly half bald boy was crowing his head off this morning. I haven't seen him do that in AGES so I'm thinking he must be feeling less itchy, even if he is a bit cold.)
I am using Permethrin 2 by Anchor 10%. I mix 2 TABLESPOONs in 1 gallon of water.

Last edited:
So interesting! And I dusted my new birds with Sevin when they went into quarantine last fall...does it do anything at all? I will definitely switch to permithrins/pryrethrins.

If anyone is nervous about using permithrins don't be! It is very, very safe. It used to be recommended for restaurants to use in food prep areas for bug control (I don't know if it still is or not since I haven't worked in a restaurant in a while). While in Africa I saw fields upon fields of it growing to be used for our insecticide industry - beautiful plant! And it is a major ingredient in the flysprays we use on our horses; been using that for 40 years and I'm still healthy
ya.gif
. I'm actually relieved that you told us to use it, Dragonlady, since I feel much better about spraying that on my coops and birds instead of Sevin dust
Thank you for the interesting facts. I've been using it for many years on my horses and had no clue it was a plant!
Chickedales is now n California
Awesome! A new neighbor.
big_smile.png
What part of the state are you in?
How long can you store fertile eggs before setting them?
I see a decrease in hatch rate after 11 days, especially if the storage temps are a little high.
Yes, that is exactly what they are. The poor girl looks so miserable. Today I bathed her and with some tweezer I removed as much dead skin I could. She looks better but I am not sure they are all dead. I applied frontline on February 14th and was wondering how long I should wait to apply some more (I know it is usually 3 months, but for a severe case is it the same amount of time?)
I'm so glad you have finally nailed this down!
You really think so? Even though she was born with partridge markings? I would love it if she was porcelain. What do ya'll think I should mate her with?
All my porcelains were born with partridge markings and many of my self-blue also (lavender)
Is this little one looking like a boy
hmm.png
My friend's gonna be so upset if it is, she lives in an apartment so she'll have to rehome the little guy. The comb looks big to me, but it may be because it barely has any crest feathers yet.

Cute chick! I can't help you on the sex. I'm wrong all the time on mine. :D

Cute chick! I can't help you on the sex. I'm wrong all the time on mine. :D
We're hoping for girl haha even trying to call it a girl in hopes it will be one
tongue.png
but she says it likes to scratch the floor and puff it's chest out when the other animals come near it. So.... yeah. But IIce does that sometimes too so we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom