Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Thank you so much for the pictures of the duck toes..I am clear on what it is. I love to learn new things and I need information about silkies.
Now that you have all those Orps too, it's time to buy a standard ! Actually you'll need both the APA and the ABA standards. Fully 75% of the questions asked on this thread, and many others , are answered in the ABA -APA standards. Without a standard, you have no guidelines to go by, and you'll make a bunch of costly mistakes that could have been prevented.

Last edited:
Quote: I just joined the APA and ordered the book...I need to do the same with the ABA.
hide.gif

Sorry for the sideways pic, but you can see the webbed feet of my hen. Different from duck feet, but a weird deformity as well. Hope this helps for the person that was confused.

I have a silkie with two toes on her right foot and two toes with a toenail between them on her left foot. Is this common?
It is fairly common to have an extra toe nail show up in several different places. Not good to breed a bird with it.
Not sure if it is hereditary, but it makes the bird pet quality
he.gif
. I would love to heard more in the subject though.

Here are two pictures to compare:

This one has good toes:

And this one has the duck feet: Can you see the nail going forward instead of backward?

I'm not seeing anything serious here. Maybe a crooked to nail. Not a big deal.

Ok, here is the thing. A very nice breeder was evaluating some of my silkies via Skype and told me my bird had duck feet (actually I heard black feet, but when I researched it I came across duck feet). He told me my bird had bad nails (the nail goes straight instead of backward). Anyway, I am learning everyday! In the APA book it shows a picture of a 4 feet chicken, I would love to see it in a silkie, because for some reason I cannot picture how it would look.) And by the way I just received my ABA book
wink.png

Actually an extra toenail is a fault but not a dq. Other such issues include missing toenails or twisted toes. Some of these issues can be incubation related as opposed to genetic

Back
Top Bottom