Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

You call your state department of agriculture. They should come out and test them for you. Mine was free but New York may not be. NH has a grant for it.

Nori is back to laying normally
wee.gif
Just looked because she was nesting and found a perfect little egg under her. Hoping she will collect a few and go broody. Should I just leave it in there for her to collect a clutch of them? Ice is also in there with her, I tried taking her out but Nori got upset her friend was leaving so I had to put her back.

I would love to be NPIP but I am pretty sure I am excedding my chicken quota. If I decide to have someone to come to my place to test my silkies, will that open a can of worm?

Last edited:
9 weeks, we got him at the congress that's how I knw =) he was only a day or so old.
Oh, that's right. The little guy/girl looks really nice.
big_smile.png

Hi, I'd love to go to that show but we are not NPIP yet. May I ask where you got your birds tested?
You call your state department of agriculture. They should come out and test them for you. Mine was free but New York may not be. NH has a grant for it.
I called my state department of agriculture. Last year I called the state vet, she came out to test my birds when I took two birds to a fair.
Here in Connecticut, there's no charge for them to come out. All you pay for is $1 per test/bird. And they send you the bill from the lab.

How exciting for you.. you should have a wonderful time and you have a couple nice entries there!
Thanks!

Speaking of bugs...do you think guineas would eat stink bugs? I'll be thrilled if so!
Hi, I'd love to go to that show but we are not NPIP yet. May I ask where you got your birds tested?

My Silkies eat stink bugs, they LOVE them! I collect them in a mason jar and dump them into their treat bowl every couple of days. They crunch them down dead or alive, which is a plus since my house is infested with them :barnie

Back
Top Bottom