Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote: We are not CRAZY - we are MAD! Mad Scientists! Muhahahahahahaaaaa!
lau.gif

We are not CRAZY - we are MAD!  Mad Scientists! Muhahahahahahaaaaa!
:lau

Now that you gave me a hint I put in splash E/e^b and white rec E/e^b
I get
Pullets: blue patterned gold partridge/brown
Ratio = 1/8 = 12.5%, minimum of animals to breed: 8
Pullets: blue unicolor•E
Ratio = 3/8 = 37.5%, minimum of animals to breed: 3
Cockerels: blue patterned gold partridge/brown
Ratio = 1/8 = 12.5%, minimum of animals to breed: 8
Cockerels: blue unicolor•E
Ratio = 3/8 = 37.5%, minimum of animals to breed: 3

At least now it gives me an idea of the genetics they may have..all of the E/something else for the splash or white gives me something on the lines of a blue duckwing/wheaten like partridge ... :)

I finally got some decent pictures of my black pullet!!
wee.gif
Her favorite pose is showing me her butt... But today she was just hanging out...or maybe she was striking a pose?
lol.png

This one cracks me up, the little head tilt!
lol.png

wee.gif
Her favorite pose is showing me her butt... But today she was just hanging out...or maybe she was striking a pose?
lol.png

lol.png

Love that pose.. who are YOU lookin at?

Quote:
Thanks - had e^Wh on the brain - changed my post to e^b.. you got it! Gotta love that calculator.

Eggs set! I couldn't wait haha! The temp is holding steady. I really hope they hatch! Now quick question, I put them in wider side up like they were in the egg carton, is this right? For anyone who doesn't know, if they hatch, these are Silver laced Polish X Porcelain silkie crosses
big_smile.png

Now when I candle on day 7, how should I do it? I will obviously have to take them out one at a time, but how long can I take them out for and do I have to do anything special when I do it? like be in a very warm room?
For candling, I start on day 3 (that's when I can get the barest glimpse of development) and candle very nearly every day after. I don't do anything special, I just usually cut the lights off in the room where I have the incubator and candle them (with my phone's LED light) right there. I usually take about a minute for each egg. Be sort of gentle with them, try not to 'slosh' them around too much.

For candling, I start on day 3 (that's when I can get the barest glimpse of development) and candle very nearly every day after. I don't do anything special, I just usually cut the lights off in the room where I have the incubator and candle them (with my phone's LED light) right there. I usually take about a minute for each egg. Be sort of gentle with them, try not to 'slosh' them around too much.
Yeah i've been worried about that, they didn't quite fit in the egg carton they were stored in and when I would turn them they would jiggle back and forth, even trying to be gentle it was enough I could hear them moving back and forth
sad.png
Hoping this doesn't affect them too much. I hope to at least get one baby but who knows.

wee.gif
lol.png

lol.png

What a nice type black, and she is still full of pins ! A good bath, and a blow dry from the rear, and she is ready to go.

It cuts through left over soap after rinsing, and it's good for the feathers
smile.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/752452/grooming-silkies-for-show
Thank you. I will it it a try next time.
Yes. Several people and websites seem to recommend doing the last wash with vinegar mixed in with water. Really made a difference in how the feathers feel! Literally feels squeaky clean.
lol.png
And no soap left either!
Yes, I am always worried about the soap. Nice thanks!
I picked up this roo and now I am not sure if he is up to the standards and if I should keep him. What I am not sure of are his wings. From all the pictures I can find on what is correct his appear to be way off but I wanted to get another opinion. I am new and learning...should he stay or go?
He looks nice, but his wings seems very low. I know roosters tend to have them low, but if you can take another picture it will help.
wee.gif
lol.png

lol.png

She is gorgeous
love.gif

Yeah i've been worried about that, they didn't quite fit in the egg carton they were stored in and when I would turn them they would jiggle back and forth, even trying to be gentle it was enough I could hear them moving back and forth
sad.png
Hoping this doesn't affect them too much. I hope to at least get one baby but who knows.
When I candle them, I like to use glove (like vinyl, medical gloves) because of the grease we naturally have in our hands.

Back
Top Bottom