Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

That is one really cute chick. I haven't seen any sizzles or lav Silkies as chicks before, but I do know the Lav gene can make the feathers more prone to splitting on the smooth feathered birds (like my Ameraucanas). Its something breeders are trying to eliminate because the feather quality is not good. On a silkie you might not notice it (since they are already split) but it might cause this when they are younger?
Silkie lavs carry a slow feathering gene and I've have several of those. Their feathers take longer to develop but they are fine. I've had at least 30 chicks from this pair and nothing that looks close to this one. It's going to be interesting to see how it develops. Of course I'm still not counting on it surviving but it's healthy so far.
OMG
clap.gif
love.gif
I think I'll just make a house chicken out of it anyways. Surely he won't notice a chicken in a dress running around his feet! My 10 yr old squealed when she saw those! I'm creating a monster!
gig.gif

Last edited:
This picture kills me every time I see it!
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

I can't believe she fell asleep like that. Face first! lol
hehe yeah she's a funny one.

So I candled the eggs, I know it's a bit soon
roll.png
I am bad at waiting.. Saw a bit of darkness in two eggs, but nothing much. they all look good, not too pourous. So I guess i'll check again when it's more visible
lol.png

Beautiful....
Hows your hatch rate?
I had 7/9 hatch last time. They were pullet eggs, and it was the first time I'd used the incubator in 2 years (I have a nearly endless supply of broodies) so I was pleasantly surprised. The two that didn't hatch were fully formed. One pipped but quit. The other didn't make it to pip.

Back
Top Bottom