Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

What are the top qualities of the silkies? Are they good meat, eggs?
Great mothers, they go broody very easily. They are fair layers, they have a decent sized egg and some lay almost daily where others(like mine) are pretty inconsistent. They can be used for meat but their skin and bones are black so most people get "turned off" and they aren't very big chickens. They are very friendly and have awesome personalities, and really turn heads when people see them.

Great mothers, they go broody very easily. They are fair layers, they have a decent sized egg and some lay almost daily where others(like mine) are pretty inconsistent. They can be used for meat but their skin and bones are black so most people get "turned off" and they aren't very big chickens. They are very friendly and have awesome personalities, and really turn heads when people see them.
Ok , more than cute
love.gif

Speaking of broodiness, I have 2 silkies on eggs now, crazy birds. One is on turkey eggs, the other is on assorted LF eggs. I have another wyandotte cross hen on more turkey eggs, another silkie and another wyandotte cross are showing signs of going broody, and tonight I had to physically remove my royal palm turkey hen from a nest containing two fake eggs. It's that time of year again.

Two chickens?  One fertile egg? :lau Sorry - my silly sense of humor.

Did you mean if you crossed them - what color(s) would the children be?

If they are both pure for type and don't have any hidden genes you will get Smutty Buff.  Any hidden genes
and you will get wildcards all over the place.  Best way to see the possibilities of genetics in chickens colorings is the Chicken Genetics Calculator: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html - Have fun!

Yes I will have fun ;) thank you for that information...

okay um... just candled the eggs. I noticed that I have two of them sitting with the aircell on the bottom
hide.gif
is this bad? can I flip them over still? They are ones that both sides look identical so I never even checked to see which one had the aircell. One is sitting right and may possibly have development but still too soon.

Turn them over. There is plenty of time for the chick to develop in the right position. The mommy hens don't put them aircell side up - they are on their sides. Just as long as the aircell is pointing upwards when they start to hatch...

Just stopping by to say 'hi' -- been so long since I've been on BYC. Spending all my time on the FB groups. lol

Hope all is well.

Sharing a pic of Oscar, son of Phillipe. He's 7 months old -- and boy, oh, boy I can't wait to see him in another 7 months. He's so beautiful already. :)

Two silkies born recently. I dont know genetics back further than parents, but have a splash roo and a white mom and a black mom.
What colors are the two silkies ( one in front and one on left) the one in front is a little lighter than the one on the left.

Blue, black or splash?
73177_10200730682689981_577124166_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom