Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Kayla, I believe that for still air incubators the recommendation is to keep the temps up a bit like 100-102 degrees. We have eggs in a styrofoam bator that we are using to see how hatching compares to our Brinsea Oct 20 Advance Ex. We have kept the Brinsea at 99.6 and the styro at 102. Both have eggs showing nice development at day 14. As long as you are being gentle when you candle, you can probably turn them any which way you like. Just a word of caution, its probably a good idea to candle them over a soft surface. Lindsey and I have managed to drop and crack two eggs during candling. Now we candle over a towel while sitting on a bed.
Okay so I have been keeping track of the incubator's temperature and humidity levels and writing them down twice a day. At 9am temps are between 99.2 and 99.8 and at 6pm they are around 100.1 and 100.8(occasionally has gone up to 101 but only a time or two between readings), and humidity has been between 35% and 25%, i'm trying to up it a little but it's not easy. I put water in one of the troughs at the bottom and came home to water all over the floor(and it ruined my antique end table
he.gif
). I put a sponge in there instead, but I can't put a bowl because there isn't enough room with the egg turner. I will have to pick up more sponges.

so on that note, which way do you candle eggs? i'm afraid to turn them on their side like i've seen people do so I just held them upright and pointed the flashlight through the side and spun around it. Is it okay for it to be on it's side to candle? arg so impatient! I want to know if there are any little toulouselings in there!
lol.png

side note: okay with the sponge the humidity has upped to 38%
Yardbird, One of my favorite qualites besides silkies being little gentle fluff balls... is that they don't really fly. They can hop up a couple of feet, but you don't have to worry about them flying around your coop. We have 2 foot tall dividers between our pens and the birds tend to stay put. Once in awhile, we find a bird who was determined to visit his neighboring pen.
What are the top qualities of the silkies? Are they good meat, eggs?

Janine, Oscar is a beauty. Please share more pics as he grows.
Just stopping by to say 'hi' -- been so long since I've been on BYC. Spending all my time on the FB groups. lol

Hope all is well.

Sharing a pic of Oscar, son of Phillipe. He's 7 months old -- and boy, oh, boy I can't wait to see him in another 7 months. He's so beautiful already. :)

Jesse, I hope you have good luck finding new stock.
thanks she was really nice pullet I would kept her if I didn't move

Quote: He is a grey, not a blue. His comb is incorrect, especially in shape, but also it is too red. Yes, diet could make difference in his plumage quality; as could a good molt. My original silkie cock's plumage became pretty coarse when he got old; when he was young it was as fluffy and fine as you could want..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom