Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

It doesn't look self-blue so I'm guess dilute splash. Not a big problem. Just breed to to blue or black.
Thanks! I have 3 that look exactly like this...I have never seen a splash come out like this, so I wasn't sure what to think about that color being so light. I do like the darker heads though.
smile.png

Okay I have some more egg pics, picture one is egg #3, 7 days. Picture two is egg #1, 7 days. Picture three and four is egg #4, 3 days.

It has been so long since I candled eggs.. but I think you are supposed to put the small end down and check the aircells? I don't see any veining in yours - but I do see dark centers which usually indicates something starting...

P.S. - 3 days is not long enough to see anything. I would try them again at 10 days and see if you see a difference..

It has been so long since I candled eggs.. but I think you are supposed to put the small end down and check the aircells? I don't see any veining in yours - but I do see dark centers which usually indicates something starting...

P.S. - 3 days is not long enough to see anything. I would try them again at 10 days and see if you see a difference..
I tried that but didn't see anything different, so I just rolled it around slowly. People said it was fine to candle them in any direction as long as you turn it slowly. The air cell is very large on #1 though and the center is very dark so I am leaving it in. #3 I took out and opened, it was a dud. I am really hoping for #1 though! If the aircell is growing does that mean it's developing? I have yet to see any veins but my flashlight stinks.

Last edited:
I tried that but didn't see anything different, so I just rolled it around slowly. People said it was fine to candle them in any direction as long as you turn it slowly. The air cell is very large on #1 though and the center is very dark so I am leaving it in. #3 I took out and opened, it was a dud. I am really hoping for #1 though! If the aircell  is growing does that mean it's developing? I have yet to see any veins but my flashlight stinks.

I am hoping with you that at least one is fertile. However, a growing aircell does not necessarily mean a developing chick. I'm fact, that is how you grade eating eggs for interior quality by candling. The bigger the aircell, the older the egg is and less desirable it is for eating. That's also why the 'float test' for egg age works. A fresh egg has a small aircell, so it sinks, while an old egg has a larger aircell, thus it floats :)

I am hoping with you that at least one is fertile. However, a growing aircell does not necessarily mean a developing chick. I'm fact, that is how you grade eating eggs for interior quality by candling. The bigger the aircell, the older the egg is and less desirable it is for eating. That's also why the 'float test' for egg age works. A fresh egg has a small aircell, so it sinks, while an old egg has a larger aircell, thus it floats
smile.png
Well, I don't know if it was the one I had for 1.5 weeks or if it was one of the new ones. But the air cell wasn't that big a week ago. I could barely see it. In fact, I accidentally had it sitting upside down for a few days because I couldn't see it. Is that any indication?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom