Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I didnt read through the 4000+ posts but I have a question about breeding/showing BBS silkies. Keep in mind I'm new to all of this!

My question is do the blacks bred from BBS differ from just a black breeding by itself? I mean would someone see more even black colorin from just black x black breedings opposed to those blacks from BBS breedings? I hope that made sense!

I see a lot of beautiful blacks but looks like some seem washed out around certain areas and had me wondering. I'm sort of leaning towards starting up next spring breeding possibly try my hand at some showing and would like to learn.
Years ago no one bred many BBS birds in Silkies. You bred Blacks, Whites, Greys, or Partridge. Now the Blacks I'm seeing are not the deep black wih a slight green sheen that I showed. Too many Blacks have light under fluff, and foot feathering showing white, or blue shafting.There is a seious need now to breed pure black lines to keep the proper color gene in the breed.

Your question made GREAT sense. Go for a pure black line. If you select from BBS for a few generations, only those birds who show true black under color, and possibly introduce a good Black , who is pure Black breeding, you'll end up with a nice Black line. Go for it !

old.gif

Last edited:
Years ago no one bred many BBS birds in Silkies. You bred Blacks, Whites, Greys, or Partridge. Now the Blacks I'm seeing are not the deep black wih a slight green sheen that I showed. Too many Blacks have light under fluff, and foot feathering showing white, or blue shafting.There is a seious need now to breed pure black lines to keep the proper color gene in the breed.

Your question made GREAT sense. Go for a pure black line. If you select from BBS for a few generations, only those birds who show true black under color, and possibly introduce a good Black , who is pure Black breeding, you'll end up with a nice Black line. Go for it !

old.gif

Thanks!
That is exactly the answer I was looking for and makes total sense to me, I've seen some pictures of some nice looking blacks and others almost look a black faded (ashy black?) with lighter under fluff that didn't appeal to me.
I truly love black and white silkies but also love the appeal of the splash and blues too!

Last edited:
hello everyone I have a question for you and I hope you can help me. I have three buff silkie hens and a buff silkie rooster. today i hatched out my first chicks from them and was surprised to see a dark chick that looks partridge. there are a few nice coloured ones and then the partridge.

I have been reading that mixing blue into the buffs at some point can do this. does anyone know if these birds are a lost cause? what should i do? they are very nice birds and some have been shown. I AM very surprised that this has happened as I got them from a breeder who really seemed to know what he was doing.

Any advice? Do i just selectively cull the non perfect buff ones or should I get out of breeding the buffs altogether?

Fran

hello everyone I have a question for you and I hope you can help me. I have three buff silkie hens and a buff silkie rooster. today i hatched out my first chicks from them and was surprised to see a dark chick that looks partridge. there are a few nice coloured ones and then the partridge.

I have been reading that mixing blue into the buffs at some point can do this. does anyone know if these birds are a lost cause? what should i do? they are very nice birds and some have been shown. I AM very surprised that this has happened as I got them from a breeder who really seemed to know what he was doing.

Any advice? Do i just selectively cull the non perfect buff ones or should I get out of breeding the buffs altogether?

Fran

Pictures might help? Of the chicks and the parents for those that are experienced enough to see what you really have.
I wouldn't give up so quickly. :)

Pictures might help? Of the chicks and the parents for those that are experienced enough to see what you really have.
I wouldn't give up so quickly. :)
Thank you I will do that, but it won't be until Monday because I am gone all weekend. thank you! Look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Fran

Your rooster and one of the hens carry a split color base. It is not caused by breeding in blue, because blue carries a different color base gene (E) that would throw all black chicks if present - it is dominant. It is caused by using a bird that is e^b based instead of E^Wh based - so you have something like a split (E^Wh/e^b). It is not visible on the outside - only when you breed two of them together and it doubles up can you get partridge - or wild-type - or anything that looks chipmunky when born.

If you want to get away from that, keep only the buff ones. Selectively breed using only those that do not throw chipmunk chicks. If you can - find out which hen carries the e^r gene and don't use her, sell her to somebody who wants to breed Partridges. Use one of the best buff boys from your batch over the older hens that don't throw Partridge and sell the rooster - and then use the new boys' best son over the new girls. You are trying to eliminate any possibility of e^b/e^b or something like that appearing in the next generations.

Breeders that know what they are doing make choices on what to keep and what not to keep. It isn't always based on what the birds produce as offspring - if you have 10 buff chicks and one partridge chick that isn't usually a reason to remove the ones that throw Partridge if they produce really nice chicks. If it bothers you, take steps to eliminate it. If it doesn't bother you once you understand it, continue to sell the Partridge ones and keep the buffs.

If you want to learn more about genetics of colors, this is very helpful (and FUN):

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Mark your calendars!

On Monday, Doc Peter Brown will be on a computer based radio show concerning hatching problems, determining fertile versus infertile, causes of dead in shell, possible causes and remedies of a number of hatching problems. Per Doc, conducting egg "breakouts" is the key to determining hatching problems. If you are interested but can't tune in for the live show, it will be available online for playback. I am a big fan of Doc's. He is not only extremely knowledgeable but he is also good person who has always supported my family's poultry needs in a caring manner.

www.blogtalkradio.com/backyardpoultry about 12:15 eastern time

And btw, everyone really ought to consider purchasing Doc's emergency kit for poultry at www.firststatevetsupply.com . It is only $25 and just one item alone in the kit, could cost more than $25 at Agway or Tractor Supply.

Could someone steer me towards the best line to start off with? I was looking at hat trick, cjexotics and cat dance but still learning and next time I order eggs or chicks would really like to order some from good lines. You can pm me if you don't want to post publicly.

Could someone steer me towards the best line to start off with? I was looking at hat trick, cjexotics and cat dance but still learning and next time I order eggs or chicks would really like to order some from good lines. You can pm me if you don't want to post publicly.

Then order them from Hat Trick, Cat Dance or CJExotics. That is the best way to get the best lines. I don't know what colors you want, or what your breeding criteria are. Every breeder chooses their own criterias - if you buy from them you will get their criteria through their crossings.

I know Hattrick and Catdance are highly thought of and have a great many show winning birds. I guess it depends on which colors you want as to who is the best line.

Last edited:

old.gif
Such a good answer to this Question. There is nothing like a beautiful very dark black with the green sheen! Im not afraid of black from BBS.. they are genetically
Black not dark blue and some of them very nice and dark but breeding back to a nice black from generations of black breeding is great if you can. If not just keep breeding the best black you have to the best black. I love, love , love blacks
love.gif
I am loving the beautiful green in this boys feathers right now. I can wait for him to grow up!

Back
Top Bottom