Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Such a good answer to this Question. There is nothing like a beautiful very dark black with the green sheen! Im not afraid of black from BBS.. they are genetically Black not dark blue and some of them very nice and dark but breeding back to a nice black from generations of black breeding is great if you can. If not just keep breeding the best black you have to the best black. I love, love , love blacks :love I am loving the beautiful green in this boys feathers right now. I can wait for him to grow up!
Great post! We were originally not going to do a Black pen - but I just love, love, love that green sheen on them! Blacks from a BBS pen just don't have that same glossy look IMO. However I would never hesitate to buy a black which came from a BBS pen.

Before my DH and I moved from NC to Ohio, I was going to keep the BBS I had and sell off everything/one else. They were my favorite! Well about a week before we were moving, a coon/fox/weasel/cat got all but three of my BBS birds. When I found what was left of them, I got sick. They were my best quality and most docile birds. Each had a name, we kept the three survivors, Ms. Rumpy, Psyco and Babble, in hopes of starting up again once we moved, well, a hawk got Ms. Rumpy my blue (she was my utmost favorite) Now my DH and I have built an additional coop, and are on the look out for either a paint or splash roo, since Psy and Babble are both black. I miss having all the colors I had in NC, we had BBS, chocolate, white and partridge in brown/red and silver. I kept the whites and decided to work on SG and "Bad Hair day" (sizzle) showgirls. I have since started a chicken trend in my small town, and now even my neighbors are getting chickens!

Does that make me a bad influence?
hide.gif

Before my DH and I moved from NC to Ohio, I was going to keep the BBS I had and sell off everything/one else. They were my favorite! Well about a week before we were moving, a coon/fox/weasel/cat got all but three of my BBS birds. When I found what was left of them, I got sick. They were my best quality and most docile birds. Each had a name, we kept the three survivors, Ms. Rumpy, Psyco and Babble, in hopes of starting up again once we moved, well, a hawk got Ms. Rumpy my blue (she was my utmost favorite) Now my DH and I have built an additional coop, and are on the look out for either a paint or splash roo, since Psy and Babble are both black. I miss having all the colors I had in NC, we had BBS, chocolate, white and partridge in brown/red and silver. I kept the whites and decided to work on SG and "Bad Hair day" (sizzle) showgirls. I have since started a chicken trend in my small town, and now even my neighbors are getting chickens!

Does that make me a bad influence?
hide.gif
No it makes you a good neighbor
thumbsup.gif
How nice of you to introduce them to chickens and how much fun they are!! I am changing over my breeding program to Blacks and B/S only .

Then order them from Hat Trick, Cat Dance or CJExotics. That is the best way to get the best lines. I don't know what colors you want, or what your breeding criteria are. Every breeder chooses their own criterias - if you buy from them you will get their criteria through their crossings.

I know Hattrick and Catdance are highly thought of and have a great many show winning birds. I guess it depends on which colors you want as to who is the best line.

That makes a lot of sense that certain lines will have better silkies of certain colors. As of right now I believe I would really like to stick with breeding BBS and white silkies. I'm so new to all of this I suppose its going to take some research. I am going to my first poultry show May 25th!
Catdance is very far away from me, scares me about having eggs shipped here from that far (california to ky)! But I know people do it every day. Other breeders I'm not aware of to look into? Has anyone heard much about cjexotics, looks like they have nice silkies but with my VERY novice eye I just don't know.

Such a good answer to this Question. There is nothing like a beautiful very dark black with the green sheen! Im not afraid of black from BBS.. they are genetically
Black not dark blue and some of them very nice and dark but breeding back to a nice black from generations of black breeding is great if you can. If not just keep breeding the best black you have to the best black. I love, love , love blacks
love.gif
I am loving the beautiful green in this boys feathers right now. I can wait for him to grow up!

Your Black is jst GORGEOUS with such even color, beautiful.

Last edited:
Such a good answer to this Question. There is nothing like a beautiful very dark black with the green sheen! Im not afraid of black from BBS.. they are genetically
Black not dark blue and some of them very nice and dark but breeding back to a nice black from generations of black breeding is great if you can. If not just keep breeding the best black you have to the best black. I love, love , love blacks
love.gif
I am loving the beautiful green in this boys feathers right now. I can wait for him to grow up!
Lovely type on this boy, but I would like to see much BLACKER underfluff, and more BLACK foot feathering.. If you are looking for pure Blacks, get in touch with Marty Mcguire in Birmingham. He is an ABA judge, who has some of my, and Fred Woodham's old line of true blacks.

Lovely type on this boy, but I would like to see much BLACKER underfluff, and more BLACK foot feathering.. If you are looking for pure Blacks, get in touch with Marty Mcguire in Birmingham. He is an ABA judge, who has some of my, and Fred Woodham's old line of true blacks.
He is actually blacker than the pictures.. i hate taking pictures of blacks lol! I have a heard time getting the lighting to show the true color. He is lacking foot feather a bit.. dont like that but will work with it for the type. I will certainly look up Marty Mcguire :)

Like this ?
big_smile.png
This was Wicca, she died unfortunately
sad.png
She was turning out beautifully too.

ps: the lighter areas were reflections from the sun.

Last edited:
He is actually blacker than the pictures.. i hate taking pictures of blacks lol! I have a heard time getting the lighting to show the true color. He is lacking foot feather a bit.. dont like that but will work with it for the type. I will certainly look up Marty Mcguire :)
Marty is very nice
big_smile.png
he answered all my questions I had about nori's coloring and porcelain breeding

Back
Top Bottom