Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote: Let's assume that the black is not split to lav. None of the chicks will be lav diluted, because they will only inherit it from their porcelain mother. They will inherit gold from her, as well as the helper genes that allow isabel (lav diluted buff) to show on her body (probably Co, possibly Pg). From the father they will inherit ether gold or silver, depending on whether he is gold, golden or silver) and melanizers. Offspring will be black with leakage, partridge, buff or silver, or possibly many other things...it depends on his e-allele, whatever pattern genes each parent provides....a lot of porcelains also carry blue, so that could show up as well...

Oh, I was talking about what the chicks would be - because they would inherit the lav gene from their mother. All the chicks would carry lav though, correct (from their mother)? They would all be "split to lav"?

Wow, the Self Blue/Porcelains sure carry a lot of stuff under there, I remember thinking that color was complicated...

ok i know that hatchery stock is far superior to the breeder/show stock that is on this thread so please dopnt rag me for having them... they are my 5yo DDs... if i let them breed how can i get the poofy heads from scratch? the roo has a HUGE comb and the hen has a tina turner mohawk thing goin on... is it possible to get the goods from hatchery? my baby wants to have baby chicks from her babies she helped raise from chicks!!!

Question...one of my girls recently hatched chicks(actually all four went broody at the same time) and I had to take this particular girl away from them. She decided to chase and peck so she was out of there. The other three are raising the babies beautifully. Question is about the one I removed. She is pulling out or losing a lot of feathers. She was in a moult already and hasn't regrown from that...so wth is going on?

ETA: I just went over her and the feathers are just coming out. I ran my fingers down her back and they are just falling out...

Ok, question back. When you removed her did she squack and make a really big fuss flying everywhere? I had to remove a hen who was trying to steal a broody's nest and she acted like I was killing her - her feathers went flying when I was trying to catch more than just the one foot. After that her feathers were loose for awhile - and some would fall out when she brushed up against something. I think its a response to being caught - they loosen the feathers so they may be able to get away and leave the predator with a mouth full of feathers. I didn't handle her after that so I don't know if I touched her if the feathers would just fall out... but she sure was (and still is) mad at me.

ok i know that hatchery stock is far superior to the breeder/show stock that is on this thread so please dopnt rag me for having them... they are my 5yo DDs... if i let them breed how can i get the poofy heads from scratch? the roo has a HUGE comb and the hen has a tina turner mohawk thing goin on... is it possible to get the goods from hatchery? my baby wants to have baby chicks from her babies she helped raise from chicks!!!

If you want good quality you have to start with good quality. You CAN breed better birds by taking one with something really good and crossing it with something else really good and hopefully the chicks will have the best from both... but that is a hard road to SQ. If they are just pets - then go for it. Just as long as you don't have high expectations you won't be disappointed.

I didn't see any pictures (maybe they didn't download) but the huge comb doesn't sound right - is it flat against his head?

The Tina Turner mohawk thing might work.. depending on if the poof is big enough. My hatchery girl has a terrible poof - it might as well not be there at all. I decided to get some better birds, and they can be found if you look for them.

Maybe if you can get your hen to go broody you can get some better quality eggs to put under her? That way your daughter can watch her baby raise more babies.. sort of a short-cut.

You probably can't..your best bet is to order quality eggs from someone on here when one of your girls go broody. It will be a win win. Your investment will give you quality to breed for the future. You can keep three of the chicks, sell the rest to pay for your investment..and you will have what you want.

If you want good quality you have to start with good quality. You CAN breed better birds by taking one with something really good and crossing it with something else really good and hopefully the chicks will have the best from both... but that is a hard road to SQ. If they are just pets - then go for it. Just as long as you don't have high expectations you won't be disappointed.

I didn't see any pictures (maybe they didn't download) but the huge comb doesn't sound right - is it flat against his head?

The Tina Turner mohawk thing might work.. depending on if the poof is big enough. My hatchery girl has a terrible poof - it might as well not be there at all. I decided to get some better birds, and they can be found if you look for them.

Maybe if you can get your hen to go broody you can get some better quality eggs to put under her? That way your daughter can watch her baby raise more babies.. sort of a short-cut.
I tried to get better quality starting from not so good quality and I worked on it for 3 years. Constantly getting a little better quality from other breeders eggs and then adding them to my flock. When concidering the cost of feed, litter, electricity for brooder lights and time it's just alot cheaper to buy an adult or juvenile and go from there. You can add a SQ roo to your existing hens and get better quality chicks and keep the best girls and put them back with that roo. It's really just cheaper to go ahead and buy the SQ or even just fluffier if your not wanting to show them.

When I had decided to redo my flock I bought several SQ silkies and sold most of my existing flock. I kept the best ones. I've gotten many SQ chicks.

Haha! My head is spinning!! Post a photo of your "partridge" roo. Sounds interesting.
My head is spinning also with the genetics!

I have what was suppose to be a paint silkie but he had blue spots instead of black. Is this another color? I've shown him as a paint and he's won till the last show and there was a paint that had black spots right next to my guy with blue spots. Mine is white with blue spots. He isn't a splash but more like a blue paint. Does anybody know if this could be the beginning of another color or is it out there already? That last show he was in he got 2nd place still but he is not the paint that I wanted. I love him anyway and if I can convince him to breed I would like to try to get more like him.

The pics aren't the best quality but other than the blue spots his other feathers are white. No blue hue to them at all. Just like a paint would have white feathers with black spots. He has great everything else that is suppose to be a good show bird but those blue spots. I would appreciate imput from those that are more experienced in showing, genetics and breeding for this particular color.

Thanks for your time
This one looks like it is spun from pure silk!

Thanks!!! It feels like every time I'm like I think I get it, my brain farts and I'm lost again! Hahaha
You are not the only one who is "genetics challenged". LOL

Back
Top Bottom