Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Shows how much i know
smile.png
I thought it was too light. So that is correct chinchilla grey?

To me it does look too light. It looks like maybe a mix with gray...like the splash partridge I had. I see too much light especially in the chest.

Ok, question back. When you removed her did she squack and make a really big fuss flying everywhere? I had to remove a hen who was trying to steal a broody's nest and she acted like I was killing her - her feathers went flying when I was trying to catch more than just the one foot. After that her feathers were loose for awhile - and some would fall out when she brushed up against something. I think its a response to being caught - they loosen the feathers so they may be able to get away and leave the predator with a mouth full of feathers. I didn't handle her after that so I don't know if I touched her if the feathers would just fall out... but she sure was (and still is) mad at me.

Yes she did squawk and freak out. Thanks...I haven't had one do that before but I bet that's it.

I finally have an all black silkie pen. I hatched out a couple eggs and I got a black chick with white down on it's feet this time and last time I got a couple black chicks and one that was partridge. The partridge really threw me off. I've had a bbs pen which at one time I had a splash roo 2 splash hens 1 blue hen and 4 black hens. I didn't keep any chicks from that bunch but I had at another time a blue roo, 2 black hens and 2 splash hens. I kept the 2 best black pullets and added those to my bbs pen. The partridge chick came from a black hen that had a blue daddy and black mother. That hen is the darkest black and best looking black hen I have. Her mother is next to her as far as looks go. The other two black hens are a dull black color. What I'm planning to do is keep hatching from that pen and keep the best black pullets and replace them with the dullest 2 that I have. I'll replace the hen I got the partridge chick from also. Then i'll go from there but it will be next year before I know how well that worked out. I figure if I keep putting the best black back into the pen I will eventually get true black.

I suppose there will always be those other colors in the genes but hopefully they will breed true.

I finally have an all black silkie pen. I hatched out a couple eggs and I got a black chick with white down on it's feet this time and last time I got a couple black chicks and one that was partridge. The partridge really threw me off. I've had a bbs pen which at one time I had a splash roo 2 splash hens 1 blue hen and 4 black hens. I didn't keep any chicks from that bunch but I had at another time a blue roo, 2 black hens and 2 splash hens. I kept the 2 best black pullets and added those to my bbs pen. The partridge chick came from a black hen that had a blue daddy and black mother. That hen is the darkest black and best looking black hen I have. Her mother is next to her as far as looks go. The other two black hens are a dull black color. What I'm planning to do is keep hatching from that pen and keep the best black pullets and replace them with the dullest 2 that I have. I'll replace the hen I got the partridge chick from also. Then i'll go from there but it will be next year before I know how well that worked out. I figure if I keep putting the best black back into the pen I will eventually get true black.

I suppose there will always be those other colors in the genes but hopefully they will breed true.

Those SNEAKY Partridges! They hide under blue and black and you don't know they are there until poof - two combine up and you get
hu.gif
. The thing is.. if you got a partridge it had to come from both sides. The rooster is part of the equation too.. and his daughters can throw partridge as well if bred back to him.. Either his black base isn't homozygous - or a melaniser isn't homozygous - and it got lost on that chick...

I wonder if the gold is giving you that good looking black? Maybe the silver is giving you the duller color? Somebody somewhere said the best blacks were gold based. I wonder...

No, I do not have it but I have read the standard posted on this site. Does the section under grey have a color picture of chinchilla grey? Truthfully I have looked up what color a chinchilla is but I found that they come in a lot of colors :) So it didn't help. But I would love to be clear on what color it is. Any input you have is appreciated.
Yup. Go look at pictures of grey chinchillas ! Do you not have a standard ? There is a seperate section under the color grey, just for Silkies.

No, I do not have it but I have read the standard posted on this site. Does the section under grey have a color picture of chinchilla grey? Truthfully I have looked up what color a chinchilla is but I found that they come in a lot of colors
smile.png
So it didn't help. But I would love to be clear on what color it is. Any input you have is appreciated.
The color is a silver and grey striped feather, so they look salt and pepper silver and grey. Look up chinchilla rabbit on google. That's the effect you want. Some are a tad lighter, some a bit darker, but the effect is a silver grey with NO yellow/ orange tinge.

Back
Top Bottom