Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I just looked up chinchilla rabbit like you recommended and that was helpful. I found these images on google:

So I do see the color variation. The following pictures are some if the colors I get from my birds. Are they all ok or are some more ideal than others?

The color is a silver and grey striped feather, so they look salt and pepper silver and grey. Look up chinchilla rabbit on google. That's the effect you want. Some are a tad lighter, some a bit darker, but the effect is a silver grey with NO yellow/ orange tinge.

I just looked up chinchilla rabbit like you recommended and that was helpful. I found these images on google:

So I do see the color variation. The following pictures are some if the colors I get from my birds. Are they all ok or are some more ideal than others?

I would say that 1 is too dark, and 4 is too light. Love the color of 3.

I have rarely seen amazing colored greys at shows. I wish more people would breed them. We have a quad and are finding it hard to diversify the gene pool.

The lighter headed ones are the best. I like the second P from the bottom. That's the color to shoot for. NO partridge marking in wings either.

The last two are my favorite too. I did think the second to the last was too light though but I'm glad to hear someone thinks it its the color to go for. I took number two to a show in January and the judge said the color was wrong. She does have penciling a little so i understand that is incorrect but he said her color was too light. So i think I'm going to take a variety of greys next time and see what they say. I would like to see a picture of a perfect grey silkie. Anyone have one? Even if it isn't perfect but close...just something to compare against.
The lighter headed ones are the best. I like the second P from the bottom. That's the color to shoot for. NO partridge marking in wings either.

Agreed. When i bought my original trio they were difficult to find. I almost ordered eggs from the other side of the country. Amazingly, someone an hour away had already done that and i was able to buy a trio from her :)
I would say that 1 is too dark, and 4 is too light. Love the color of 3.

I have rarely seen amazing colored greys at shows. I wish more people would breed them. We have a quad and are finding it hard to diversify the gene pool.

Last edited:
The last two are my favorite too. I did think the second to the last was too light though but I'm glad to hear someone thinks it its the color to go for. I took number two to a show in January and the judge said the color was wrong. She does have penciling a little so i understand that is incorrect but he said her color was too light. So i think I'm going to take a variety of greys next time and see what they say. I would like to see a picture of a perfect grey silkie. Anyone have one? Even if it isn't perfect but close...just something to compare against.
You would be amazed at how many breeders and a few judges have never read the grey color for Silkies. I once bought a string of gorgeous chinchilla greys from a master-breeder exbibitor. He was culling them for having light heads instead of the darker ones normally called for in other breeds. I bred very good greys from those birds that won a lot.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO BREED , OR SHOW BIRDS , BUY A STANDARD !!

Quote:
Wow, those are some pretty greys. It makes me want to keep ALL the chicks and see what they come out like!

:) Ok. I'll start looking for one... Thanks for sharing what you know. I think the judge at the show i went to was thinking of other breeds because he referred me to this bird to demonstrate proper color:

You would be amazed at how many breeders and a few judges have never read the grey color for Silkies. I once bought a string of gorgeous chinchilla greys from a master-breeder exbibitor. He was culling them for having light heads instead of the darker ones normally called for in other breeds. I bred very good greys from those birds that won a lot.

[COLOR=FF0000]IF YOU ARE GOING TO BREED , OR SHOW BIRDS , BUY A STANDARD  !![/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom