Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Anyone have any secrets to getting the hair tape (I have paper tape but same thing) to stay on the crest? I put it on Snow's crest last night, and this morning it was stuck to the bottom of his foot
roll.png
. It seemed to be on there pretty good, it stuck well to his crest but when I tested it didn't pull feathers out when I gently removed a section. But if he keeps yanking it off with his foot it might! Should I wrap it tighter? I had it very loose, just enough to stick to the feathers and hold it out of his eyes. Without his crest up he is afraid to come out of the coop and he can't see his food and water
sad.png
It has been very hot here the past few days and it's only going to get hotter so I don't want him to dehydrate!

BTW I made this
lau.gif
Put the tape on snugly right arthe base of the crest feathers. My birds never minded it.

Glad to have you back!
I have been absent for quite a while between the kids being sick, me getting a pneumonia and more and of course I had to continue taking care of my menagerie lol.
We are all getting better though.
I have new chicks hatched and some were really a surprise. I got 2 chicks so far from my blue girl and my black roo who turned out to be paints (at least that what I think lol). I will keep them to see how they turn out.
So sorry you've been sick!!
That was my first thought, but check out this chick:

The other two are drying, but I can see there is one white looking and the other one looks like a very light blue or grey.
Those even markings make me think light grey/silver partridge

So sorry you've been sick!!
Those even markings make me think light grey/silver partridge
Yep, I think you nailed it because I got two new chicks today and one is very similar to the one in the picture and the other one look like a very light blue/ silver. I will take a picture tomorrow. I have more chicks to come from her, but I just don't understand how I get those chicks. Mom looks like a light blue and dad is black, so why do I get such a variety of colors. Here are the parents:

Yep, I think you nailed it because I got two new chicks today and one is very similar to the one in the picture and the other one look like a very light blue/ silver. I will take a picture tomorrow. I have more chicks to come from her, but I just don't understand how I get those chicks. Mom looks like a light blue and dad is black, so why do I get such a variety of colors. Here are the parents:

What a beautiful pair! I love the color of the blue hen!! It's not at all unusual for BBS to carry partridge genes. Try putting her with a different boy. I put my black roo with my lav hen to make black splits and got all partridge chicks. :D They're adorable but not what I wanted. The black roo with my blue hen has never produced a partridge. He is a year old and not a speck of leakage either.

They are just beautiful.

Thank you.
Right now he is my only roo from my BBS pen, so I will continue to hatch their eggs and sell the chicks that are partridges. By fall, I am hoping to get a blue rooster from Elektra (girl from my avatar) who died few weeks ago. It is probably going to be a great match. Will see. However, do you think he is the one that throws those colors?

Here are the two new chicks: They have the same mom and dad (pics of the parents above):

That bottom one will probably be similar to mom. :D
Thank you.
Right now he is my only roo from my BBS pen, so I will continue to hatch their eggs and sell the chicks that are partridges. By fall, I am hoping to get a blue rooster from Elektra (girl from my avatar) who died few weeks ago. It is probably going to be a great match. Will see. However, do you think he is the one that throws those colors?
I was under the impression they were both carriers but Sonoran will know.
thumbsup.gif

Quote: The base for partridge (e^b) is recessive, so it needs both parents to provide it. However, the e^b base can give a solid coloured bird if sufficient melanizers are added. Pattern gene is dominant, but should also be present in blues, and would not show on an E or E^R black. WHen mama and daddy got together, their genes mixed in a way that caused some partridge babies.

Back
Top Bottom