Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Justine,

I have not seen any pictures of your new silkies!

Have you set any eggs yet?
They are in my garage. I felt uncomfortable with them free ranging, so I am waiting until my new barn is built to put them out with the main flock. I have been gifted 2 eggs so far, so can't set yet! :) They've only been here since Thursday night. One hen was setting so I doubt she will lay for a while.

They had dyed her green for Easter.. They had kids.. Anyway. She has the most potential, and the green cracked me up. Her name is Ivy. I didn't post pictures because of their condition. He was all into getting the most babies rather than keeping the parents in good condition so he cut their butt fluff (for better contact) their crests, and their feet (I have no idea why on the feet). Plus the extra feather damage from the roosters..

I'll take some pictures today to show you guys. That way you can see the difference once they are finally IN condition.

Their parents were all kinds of sketchy backgrounds.

In appearences I had two blue hens (no gold leakage) and one buff with smutty tail. I got some really nice partridge out of them.

Here are some examples.. Parents the first three pictures.

Father

Mother #1

Mother #2

and the following are their partridge offspring:

Sadly I lost all of my silkies in the fire. I was so excited to start breeding my partridge birds. I thought they were great.. considering what birds they came from.

Now I just got a trio of whites from Jamie Carson, and two blues. They are in terrible condition from breeding, but I can tell they have some real potential too.
does that mean rudy and onyx might have some because when they were little they had the partridge coloring or buff i wasn't sure but as they got older that color faded out i don't know what it was i forget if you told me or not .... go to my thread i made and tell the person that he wont listen to me he keeps saying im wrong and i can't make them at all none with the colors i have ... does onyx have the white gene or what its called in her i think you said she did but i forget

does that mean rudy and onyx might have some because when they were little they had the partridge coloring or buff i wasn't sure but as they got older that color faded out i don't know what it was i forget if you told me or not .... go to my thread i made and tell the person that he wont listen to me he keeps saying im wrong and i can't make them at all none with the colors i have ... does onyx have the white gene or what its called in her i think you said she did but i forget
Recessive white. Yes. I did not know until I had a few pop up. I didn't have any white parents.

Very likely they could throw partridge as well. Onyx is not black. She is more of a dark blue. I don't have a clue what Rudy is other than pretty - but he isn't any specific colour :p

Recessive white. Yes. I did not know until I had a few pop up. I didn't have any white parents.

Very likely they could throw partridge as well. Onyx is not black. She is more of a dark blue. I don't have a clue what Rudy is other than pretty - but he isn't any specific colour :p
oh i thought she was black thats why i called her onyx lol ... ya had some like strips on his back it was light light brown stripes he is a weird color lol yes he is pretty .. i hope i get some whites ones but i would rather i have them last then the first silkies i get since they produce more white babies then other colors right ?? or is that only when the two white mate with each other ??

oh i thought she was black thats why i called her onyx lol ... ya had some like strips on his back it was light light brown stripes he is a weird color lol yes he is pretty .. i hope i get some whites ones but i would rather i have them last then the first silkies i get since they produce more white babies then other colors right ?? or is that only when the two white mate with each other ??
Don't quite understand.. Whites.. I probably got 25 % white out of hatches.

If you got two whites, and bred them together, all of their offspring would be white.

My son got his first egg today from our blue hen! We're hoping its fertile!!
Look at the excitement!
big_smile.png

My son got his first egg today from our blue hen! We're hoping its fertile!!
What a treasure this photo is! Thanks for sharing!
Their parents were all kinds of sketchy backgrounds.

In appearences I had two blue hens (no gold leakage) and one buff with smutty tail. I got some really nice partridge out of them.

Here are some examples.. Parents the first three pictures.

Father

Mother #1

Mother #2

and the following are their partridge offspring:

Sadly I lost all of my silkies in the fire. I was so excited to start breeding my partridge birds. I thought they were great.. considering what birds they came from.

Now I just got a trio of whites from Jamie Carson, and two blues. They are in terrible condition from breeding, but I can tell they have some real potential too.
So glad you are getting so birds. Good idea to post before and after pics. How's that adorable pup doing?
Look at the excitement!
big_smile.png

Well it's hard to take nice pictures when they are in a garage, but here is the best I could do.

Blue male.

The three whites, though one of the whites is dyed green
lol.png
The other white hen is nesting in this picture. She laid her egg very strangely. She kept trying to get under everyone until finally she just laid it.. It was very weird..

Here is the white male.. I wish he wasn't so trimmed.

The green girl looks to be in the best of condition. Probably because she's been trying to set for quite some time and not accepting of any advances.. I still need to bathe both the boys.

Back
Top Bottom