Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I need some help.One of my favorite show hens is very sick. She has not felt good and it just hit out of nowhere! She has congestion in her head, nasal and possibly in her chest. I have her separated and started on Duramycin but I also have Sulmet in my first aid kit. Around here it is hard to get meds for poultry . What else can I do?? It would kill me to lose this girl. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I need some help.One of my favorite show hens is very sick. She has not felt good and it just hit out of nowhere! She has congestion in her head, nasal and possibly in her chest. I have her separated and started on Duramycin but I also have Sulmet in my first aid kit. Around here it is hard to get meds for poultry . What else can I do?? It would kill me to lose this girl. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Get a tube of NUTRICAL from any dog or cat vet, and give her 1/2 " twice a day. Make sure she drinks, or syringe it into her. This is an old trick, but sometimes it works..... Get 4 -Way Nasal Spray, and give her a shot in each nostril twice a day. Silkies has lousy sinuses ! If they can't breathe and taste, they don't eat.

Get a tube of NUTRICAL from any dog or cat vet, and give her 1/2 " twice a day. Make sure she drinks, or syringe it into her. This is an old trick, but sometimes it works..... Get 4 -Way Nasal Spray, and give her a shot in each nostril twice a day. Silkies has lousy sinuses ! If they can't breathe and taste, they don't eat.
what's 4 way nasal spray? My friend's frizzled cochin and my sizzle Chanel both have this same issue right now =( I'm giving duramycin as well, I saw them picking at their food, I will have to feel their crops to see how much they actually ate though now that they are sleeping. I have them seperated on my porch in an xpen. Would a baby nose sucker help? Both of their noses are runny and congested.

Thank you so much Dragonlady. I will see if I can get some from the vet tomorrow. Can I get the 4-way Nasal Spray at Walmart or do I need to go to a pharmacy? I had not heard of it either. I also put terramycin eye gel in her eyes. Now she is keeping them open some. This is as scary as taking care of my own children when they where babies!

Thank you so much Dragonlady. I will see if I can get some from the vet tomorrow. Can I get the 4-way Nasal Spray at Walmart or do I need to go to a pharmacy? I had not heard of it either. I also put terramycin eye gel in her eyes. Now she is keeping them open some. This is as scary as taking care of my own children when they where babies!
4 way nasal spray is available at Wal-Mart or any drug store in the generic, "compare to 4-way nasal spray". Just a dribble in each nostril will
help open things up.You've got to unplug those Silkie sinuses.After you use the spray wait a few minutes, and see if you can't massage the gunk out by rubbing from the eye to the nostril, and pushing it out. Sometimes there will be a plug in the eye, or the roof of the mouth too.You have to GENTLY massage all that out.Keep the birds on the NUTRICAL until 3 days after they are eating on their own.

None of this has been prescribed by any vet, but it has worked for me.

4 way nasal spray is available at Wal-Mart or any drug store in the generic, "compare to 4-way nasal spray". Just a dribble in each nostril will
help open things up.You've got to unplug those Silkie sinuses.After you use the spray wait a few minutes, and see if you can't massage the gunk out by rubbing from the eye to the nostril, and pushing it out. Sometimes there will be a plug in the eye, or the roof of the mouth too.You have to GENTLY massage all that out.Keep the birds on the NUTRICAL until 3 days after they are eating on their own.

None of this has been prescribed by any vet, but it has worked for me.
would a nose sucker help?

Back
Top Bottom