Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

3 silkie chicks survived the hatch the rest died .. 2 blues and one black one of the blue ones is a vaulted skull

I am sorry you didn't get more chicks. I had a few problems like that with shipped eggs, they got all the way to lockdown and just didn't hatch.
sad.png

Of course now you know we will need pictures...

I am sorry you didn't get more chicks. I had a few problems like that with shipped eggs, they got all the way to lockdown and just didn't hatch.
sad.png

Of course now you know we will need pictures...
well the eggs that hatched were from my eggs my friend said it could be from there feed (I feed them meat builder because I don't like my roosters eating layer or anything like that and the silkies free range some times) I don't have the chicks right now my friend hatched them for me .. I could maybe get her to get some pics of them for me .. today my silkie rooster rudy (silver partridge) got in fight with my big drake .. the drake was trying to grab him and rudy was trying to kick him it was funny but no one got hurt .... these are my first silkie chicks from my silkies (the eggs I got are from newer silkies from a breeder I know) my rooster rudy is not fertilizing his mate right (I had them since they were 4 weeks old I got them from my friend but I noticed that onyx my black hen has been loosing her tail feathers does this mean rudy is mating her or pulling her tail feathers out .. he was pulling her tail feathers before but my friend said he is doing that because he doesn't know how to mate her yet ... all of my silkies have defects but wont pass through genes .. rudy has a crooked beak he got this when he got older I think he got in a fight but his beak is tilted some and then pumpkin my buff based partridge based rooster has a broken toe and it is turned all the way around its pointed be hind him and then his hen has a tilt in her neck but doesn't pass it through her genes she is blue and her name is moon and then onyx is the only one with nothing wrong with her and like I said she is a black one so I named her onyx it means black gem or rock I thought it sounded nice

Quote:
lau.gif
Silkie vs Drake.. and the winner is.. neither!

If he is pulling her tail feathers he is on backwards.
roll.png

Feed can make a difference in hatching rates - I noticed with Fermented Feed my hatch rate went up...

I like Black Onyx too - it is a pretty rock. Very nice for backgrounds for more colorful stones like Opals....

Well if your friend has a good camera
wink.png
maybe they could get some cute shots of your first Silkie Babies from your own birds.

lau.gif
Silkie vs Drake.. and the winner is.. neither!

If he is pulling her tail feathers he is on backwards.
roll.png

Feed can make a difference in hatching rates - I noticed with Fermented Feed my hatch rate went up...

I like Black Onyx too - it is a pretty rock. Very nice for backgrounds for more colorful stones like Opals....

Well if your friend has a good camera
wink.png
maybe they could get some cute shots of your first Silkie Babies from your own birds.
yeah they both just went at each other and then they walked away lol ... well that sucks I really want him to mate with her ... I am gonna start fermenting my feed my friend was talking to me about that to ... yeah im getting them on 22nd I am going up to her place for a bbq (barn warming party her barn burnt down with all of her animals in it and she has been hatching chicks for me for a while this summer for free and she is on this site to .. aoxa ... I can't wait to see my babies then I will get some pics then to and I am getting to partridge silkie chicks from her to .. there are not many partridge color silkies around here well not nice ones

Quote:
Yes, I was reading on the other thread when she posted about it, t was heart-wrenching!

I think he will figure it out, eventually!
wink.png

Yay on the Partridge Silkies - that is my favorite color! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526271/partridge-silkies-nothing-else/3430#post_11450393 I am glad Aoxa found some up there!

There is also another Silkie thread for just talking about our birds https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/36460#post_11457959 Lots more pictures of pretty Silkies over there too!

Yes, I was reading on the other thread when she posted about it, t was heart-wrenching!

I think he will figure it out, eventually!
wink.png

Yay on the Partridge Silkies - that is my favorite color! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526271/partridge-silkies-nothing-else/3430#post_11450393 I am glad Aoxa found some up there!

There is also another Silkie thread for just talking about our birds https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/36460#post_11457959 Lots more pictures of pretty Silkies over there too!
im having good and bad luck with chicks .. so far i only had 2 die on me but they mostly die in the eggs .. i had 18 eggs and 25 hatched but with my silkies i have bad luck not good hatching at all im not sure why but do you think it is feed (meat builder) because like i said thats what i feed the, i never had partridge before .. i only have the ones i said to you .. i only had silver partridge not the other partridge color

Well i'm confused... I was just told the SOP is copyrighted and it is llegal to repost any of it's material without consent of the APA
barnie.gif
So how does anyone get the SOP for just one breed if we can't afford the book? I have seEn people post the standard for different breeds before. Is it illegal? I am looking for the SOP for frizzles... Can anyone help me or do I have to go and buy the book to find out what I need for one stinking breed??????

Well i'm confused... I was just told the SOP is copyrighted and it is llegal to repost any of it's material without consent of the APA
barnie.gif
So how does anyone get the SOP for just one breed if we can't afford the book? I have seEn people post the standard for different breeds before. Is it illegal? I am looking for the SOP for frizzles... Can anyone help me or do I have to go and buy the book to find out what I need for one stinking breed??????
If you show frizzles, they have to be named as to breed,,,Frizzled featherleg, frizzled clean leg, etc. You need to read the standards of each frizzled breed you have for TYPE, then read about color and frizzling. The Standard is WELL worth the $.

Thanks for the info on getting the Nutracil. Will be getting some tomorrow. Bebe is doing really good now. She is eating. Not liking the nose drops but she is settling more for the massaging. She still have rattling sound but much improved from when I found her. Her eyes are staying clear now too. So...every little step is a blessing!

About hatch rates. I have always had good rates and then all at once I start having problems. Mostly the liquid in the egg gets real gooey and they can't hatch. I even had one zip completely and was so stuck it was not able to pop the top off. I have caught a couple just as they hatched like that and took them out to wash them off. It is almost like glue. I had always kept Humidity around 45-50 and temp around 99. Someone told me the H was really too low and that was why the liquid contents dried out which makes sense. So...what do most of you keep your humidity at?? I have noticed a few that seemed dried out in the shell too that did not hatch. I really need these next few hatches to do well. I have heard there are a few special conditions for hatching silkies. I have always just hatched like I did all others. I do have 2 pipped right now!!

I am so happy we have such a good support group here..don't know what i would do without a lot of advice see on here not just for me but for countless others.

Back
Top Bottom