Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Buffs are not supposed to be light. WAY too many are WAY too light. Here are some photos, mostly from feathersite, of correctly coloured buffs of various breeds.

These are red:

If you look at photos on the websites of those who have been breeding buff silkies for a good long while, you will find that most of them have richly coloured birds.
See my Buff Orps, on my page. "The color of a gold watch".

See my Buff Orps, on my page. "The color of a gold watch".
They are beautiful
love.gif
Do you see buff in the roo that was posted or red? I know Sonoran is practically never wrong but I just don't see buff? I don't think it's my eyes or my computer, 22 with 20/20 and i've used 2 different computers to view the picture?

If it smells it is probably canker, is there any yellow crud around her face and in her throat? I believe the treatment is metronidazol? You can order fish zole online, it's the same thing. You'll have to look up the dose. As for the one holding it's head sideways, Wryneck. But i'm sure you know that. Do you know how to treat?
The more I look at Bebe the more I keep feeling sinus infection..is that possible? Would it help to do a nasal flush?..I keep looking for whitish or yellow discharge but for the most part it is clear with just a very small amount of color to it.
I have spent the better part of the evening reading info on wryneck and treatment. Poor baby kept coming to me climbing in my hand like it did not understand what was wrong. I have already given it the D complex and selenium. Will go get vitamin E tomorrow. Since this was the first day it was like that I am hoping it will recovery quickly. At this stage it is still eating and drinking well and the twist is worse than this morning.
Thanks so much for the help!! Will check on the metronidazol.

They are beautiful
love.gif
Do you see buff in the roo that was posted or red? I know Sonoran is practically never wrong but I just don't see buff? I don't think it's my eyes or my computer, 22 with 20/20 and i've used 2 different computers to view the picture?
I'm seeing RED too.There may be partridge in there somewhere too to get those black tail feathers.

I'm seeing RED too.There may be partridge in there somewhere too to get those black tail feathers.
I have a buff based partridge based rooster but he doesn't look like that ... mine doesn't have any of that white fluff and he is like lighter but darker if that makes since lol .... he has the black tail feathers to but just doesn't look like that one ... at first I thought the one on here was cross or something

The more I look at Bebe the more I keep feeling sinus infection..is that possible? Would it help to do a nasal flush?..I keep looking for whitish or yellow discharge but for the most part it is clear with just a very small amount of color to it.
I have spent the better part of the evening reading info on wryneck and treatment. Poor baby kept coming to me climbing in my hand like it did not understand what was wrong. I have already given it the D complex and selenium. Will go get vitamin E tomorrow. Since this was the first day it was like that I am hoping it will recovery quickly. At this stage it is still eating and drinking well and the twist is worse than this morning.
Thanks so much for the help!! Will check on the metronidazol
.I haven't heard of using the vit D complex before. I used Poly-vi-sol but some say it doesn't work and to use the vit E and selenium with prednizone(I had no problems using just the poly-vi-sol but that's just my experience). Peter Brown had me use some baby aspirin, for a full size chicken he said one tablet by mouth but I don't know what it would be for a chick. Also get some vitamins and electrolytes into it, and a cooked egg yolk.

.I haven't heard of using the vit D complex before. I used Poly-vi-sol but some say it doesn't work and to use the vit E and selenium with prednizone(I had no problems using just the poly-vi-sol but that's just my experience). Peter Brown had me use some baby aspirin, for a full size chicken he said one tablet by mouth but I don't know what it would be for a chick. Also get some vitamins and electrolytes into it, and a cooked egg yolk.
Wry neck is MANY times caused by treating with Corid/ amprolium. Corid ties up NIACIN to starve the coccidia, who cannot survive without it.This causes Mareks like symptoms, and wry neck. Treat ANY birds you have given Corid to with Poly Vi Sol WITHOUT IRON, if they are showing these symptoms

Much easier to keep ALL your babies on low dose Medicated Chick Starter until 4 months old.I have for 40 years, and I have yet to loose a chick.

Wry neck is MANY times caused by treating with Corid/ amprolium. Corid ties up NIACIN to starve the coccidia, who cannot survive without it.This causes Mareks like symptoms, and wry neck. Treat ANY birds you have given Corid to with Poly Vi Sol WITHOUT IRON, if they are showing these symptoms

Much easier to keep ALL your babies on low dose Medicated Chick Starter until 4 months old.I have for 40 years, and I have yet to loose a chick.
That is what I do... I didnt know why though...
smile.png
So far so good with the cocci...

Back
Top Bottom